Close Ties

Author's Note: HI GUYS SO I TOTALLY FORGOT TO UPLOAD THE LAST CHAPTER, FURY, SO IF YOU WOULD GO BACK AND READ THAT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE PLOT. I AM SO SORRY OMG

Author's Note: OKAY I FIXED IT AGAIN SORRY I PASTED THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER INTO CLOSE TIES I AM A MESS OKAY HERE

Sky recognized his voice instantly, and he wished he didn't. Once, that voice had made him happy, and had made him and his friends laugh with his words and how he said them. Once, he had looked forward to hearing that voice, and then he missed hearing it once they lost him... He had hoped that someday he would hear that voice again. But not like this.
     His voice seemed to come from the very walls of their earthy cage, echoing around from no certain origin. His tone was playful, but cold, as if he was planning an experiment and was explaining it to his test subjects. That voice used to be a whole lot brighter once upon a time. Sky didn't let his recognition and sadness show for Deadlox's sake. He didn't want to stress him out more than he already was with his wound.
     "I'm sure by now you're wondering where you are." The voice began, startling them both with how sudden it was. They had both been very occupied by observing their surroundings.
     Sky spoke for them before Deadlox could try to use some of his energy on his wit. "Whatever this is, just let us out, we have someone we need to find! What is it you want?!"
      "Just your time. I've brought you here as a Guinea pig against your will - and I'm not letting you out. Not until you make it out of the maze."
     Sky and Deadlox exchanged uncertain, nervous glances as the voice continued on.
      "There. Sorry, I like to keep it simple. I'm not the monologue type. Now, let's get to work so you can start the tests. Before you is a river as I'm sure you can see, with an obvious line of stones in a path across. As long as you don't slip and fall, you'll be fine. If you fail to keep your balance, you'll fall down the waterfall and die. When you reach the end, you will move to the next level, where a more challenging course will await."
     Sky opened his mouth to defiantly say that they didn't have to do what he said.
     "Don't argue." The voice replied. "It will only waste valuable time you can't afford to lose. Every now and then, when you reach a certain point, you will be rewarded with something you need. First, you will be given bandages for the wounded one. You better hurry so you can get those... I don't think he has much blood left to lose."
      Deadlox chewed his lip. Sky looked at his friend worriedly, before he sighed.
      "Begin at your leisure." The voice said calmly, before it went quiet.
      "Let's go." Sky muttered in reisgnation.
      Deadlox looked at him in surprise. "Sky?"
      "We have no choice, we have to go." Sky said certainly. He stared at the first rock, and glanced down the river at the rushing, powerful waterfall. "How did he even build this...?"
     "Sky, there's no t-time..."
     Sky winced and nodded, before he stepped on the first rock very slowly and carefully, watching to make sure the rock wasn't slippery. Deadlox waited until he got onto the second rock before he cautiously followed with an anxious look in his eyes, holding his side tight in pain which he tried to suppress for Sky's sake more than his own.
     "Be careful..." Sky warned, not sure if he was talking to Deadlox or to himself. Either way, the other man didn't reply. A few steps went by in nervous silence, until Sky sighed in frustration. "You're better than me at this kind of thing, I should be the one who's injured right right now!"
     Deadlox only shook his head, trying to regulate his breathing. "W-We'll be fine... It doesn't look so hard..."
     Sky couldn't think of anything to say, so he simply nodded as he stepped onto the third to last rock. He didn't notice how slippery it was until it was too late. His foot slid out from under him, and with a sudden gasp, he fell back, frantically waving his arms about for something to grab onto even though there was nothing.
     Nothing but another person.
     Deadlox grabbed his arm, but Sky's weight paired with his weakness and the slippery surface he stood on cause him to fall as well. He tumbled back, but stumbled instead of slipped, and managed to grab onto the rock he had just passed. He felt pain shoot through his side again, worse than before, but he ignored it like he had done in previous fights through determination. Sky ended up almost totally immersed in water, but thanks to Deadlox's quick reflexes, he managed to grab onto the rock he slipped on well enough to avoid being rushed downstream.
     "A-Are you okay?" Deadlox asked quickly.
     Sky nodded, instantly moving to climb back onto the stepping stone and out of the water. "F-Fine, fine- lets go." He wasted no time in continuing, less cautious and more eager to just be done with the water. He reached the end and glanced back to watch his companion and make sure he got over alright. Deadlox was much slower than him, but he made it safely to the other side. Sky sighed in relief as they both set foot on land again. "That should have been easier for me... Sorry..."
     Deadlox only shook his head. "N-No, no, you just don't like water-" He was cut off by a sudden cry of pain as he grabbed his wounded side.
     Sky's eyes widened in alarm. "Ty!" His face paled as he saw some deep red blood soaking Deadlox's shirt. He realized that the fall must have reopened his wound. "Shit..." He hissed.
     "I-I'm fine." Deadlox shook his head, though Sky could see tears of pain threatening to fall.
     "We need to keep going. You need those bandages as soon as possible."
     Deadlox nodded. "I can walk."
     Sky didn't think it was a good idea for him to even stand on his own, but he had no choice but to let him go.
     "I would check your pockets if I were you." Suddenly, the voice rang out again, ever calm and cold and dark.
     Sky jumped, looking around. "What?"
     The voice wouldn't repeat itself. Deadlox hesitated. "I... I think it said to check our pockets..."
     Sky and Deadlox looked at each other in uncertainty. "I don't have pockets." Sky said.
     Deadlox nodded and reached into both his pants pockets. He blinked in surprise in confusion, and pulled a folded piece of paper out of his right one.
     "Paper?" Sky asked.
     Deadlox unfolded it. "It's a note..." He said, and read it aloud. "'That was a good warm-up. Speaking of warming up, go ahead and move on to the next round... P.S.: I don't mean to alarm you, but you're running out of time..'" Deadlox looked back at Sky nervously. "I-I don't like the sound of that..."
     Sky didn't say anything as a passageway suddenly slid open in the glass barrier wall behind them, apparently opening the way to the next course so they could risk their lives again. The pair looked at each other again, and a range of emotions passed between them. Nervousness and worry, some dread, and maybe a tiny bit of hope. "Come on." Sky nodded towards the entrance and guided Deadlox toward it with a hand on his back.
     When they appeared in the entrance to the next course, whatever hope they managed to have was gone.
     The room was all red, and far less earthy and friendly than before. It looked exactly the same as the other room, but it was far worse because of one difference.
     A river of lava was where the water had been before.
     Sky only sighed as his response to the discovery.
     Deadlox looked at Sky sadly. "A good warm up, huh...?"