The Graves

For two more nights, she didn't let herself believe it was real. It was just a dream: one of the few in her life that she had remembered. Then on the third day, when she and Nanin sat together in the tavern, Arana approached with tidings. "There's news from Redcliffe. They say Lord Joffrey has been murdered. His throat was slit while he slept, so his deal with the Inquisition is over."

"Good." Nanin said flatly, "It's no more than he deserves." Arana had been sad but resigned when she learnt of Laisa's assault and humiliation at the hands of the Orlesian shem, but Nanin had been incensed, and had taken some convincing not to attack the lord alone.

"The Inquisitor will be very disappointed." Arana countered. Her allegiance to the organisation seemed to grow with every passing day.

"Who cares?" Nanin shrugged. He remained scornful of the Inquisition. An organisation that large was inherently corrupt, he claimed, and Laisa agreed. He also had a low opinion of the Inquisitor, who Arana had come to idolise. Laisa respected the elven woman. She had been forced into an impossible situation and still carried herself with grace. "What do you think, Laisa?"

That was another change and for the good. She and Nanin had always clashed in the Clan, but since reuniting had developed something of a tentative friendship. "I'm glad he's dead." Laisa said, surprising herself.

"Are you ok? You've gone very pale."

She was thinking furiously. It was too much of a coincidence. She saw the fury in Solas's eyes once more, him asking for a name, and now, the man she named lying dead. Had he truly done that for her? Why? She was nothing to him: a young elf he'd taken pity on. "How did he die?"

"They don't know how, but the assassin slipped into Redcliffe like a shadow, and left without anyone seeing." Arana said.

"I'd like to see where the clan were buried." Laisa blurted out. If the dream was real, maybe he had left a sign there.

"You've not been yet." Arana's annoyed tone softened. "We should see if we can head out there today, to pay our respects. I'm sure they'll allow us."

Arana must have pulled some strings, because a mere hour later the three elves were making their way down the side of the mountain. It was the first time she'd left Skyhold, and as the sound of humanity transitioned into the burble of nature she found herself actually smiling. They each had borrowed a horse. Laisa enjoyed riding. They were easier than Halla to care for, she surmised.

It still took almost until sunset to find their old home, simply because it was no longer recognisable. Laisa had expected a razed land dotted with tiny saplings. Instead, there was a cluster of the most beautiful trees Laisa had ever seen, all fully grown. Their bark was silvery, catching the light, growing slender and willowy. From strong sturdy branches grew leaves the colour of amber, throwing iridescent pools of light when the sun touched them.

"What happened here?" Arana whispered. "What are these?"

"A sign." Laisa replied. Her chest felt tight.

"Who goes there?" Nanin's hands shot to his bow, fitting an arrow as fast as thought. A hooded figure stood amid the enchanted trees, turning slowly at their approach.

"I knew it would be you." Laisa said to Solas, whose eyes widened with shock at the sight of her.

"You remember?" He asked in astonishment and she nodded. "How?"

"Who are you?" Nanin repeated tensely. His arrow was aimed squarely at Solas's chest, as was Arana's staff.

"Stop this, all of you!" Laisa stepped between them, into the line of fire, as Solas raised his own staff.