Chapter 12- The Cave

When my paws touched the cold stone floor on the other side, the familiar feeling came rushing right back into me. It wasn't the homey feeling I expected, but a haunting one. Just the look of the entrance made my stomach churn. I could only picture my friends faces when they seen what I did, but thankfully not long after I came through, the rest followed.

"Thank Fenris for your magic." Skop says, followed by a look of surprise. "Never thought I would say that before."

I was to worked up about before to hear him. "I have to go back." I hiss, already heading for the exit again. "He's my mentor, I can't just leave him with whatever that... thing was!"

Before I could make the leap outside, I feel teeth in my tail as I'm held back by one of my brothers. "Will you just take a second to think things through?" Marcus growled. "You've been afraid of him your entire life, and you can barely use those damn powers of yours! At least Shaman stands a chance!"

"Are you saying I can't win?" My pelt bristled in anger. "I weakened him once before, I can do it again!"

"That wasn't you!" He argued. "That was the demon! The demon took you over and gave your body the strength to defeat him! A good warrior knows when something is too much to handle!"

I opened my mouth to argue, but nothing was able to come out. Deep down, I knew he had a point, I was not strong enough to defeat whatever had overcome my father. It's really painful, actually having to admit you can't win.

We were all snapped back to reality when Jaspers gasp echoed from deeper into the cave. "What in the name of Fenris..." He breathed as his eyes adjusted to the musty darkness.

The safe place I took them was actually my cave, the one I used to keep my stuff incase someone tries to steal any of it. It was all mine, I stole it fair and square. That wasn't all this cave was used for though. It was full of memories, reminders, mostly of my past, a place I use to be proud of. Now I'm not so sure.

Only a shred of light peeked its way into the cave from a crack in the ceiling, but it was enough for everyone to be able to see everything that was inside. Boxes upon boxes were stacked against the walls, all with trinkets flooding out of them. There were setups all around, each one with some kind of item on the surface. One table I passed had nothing but jewelry, and another some valuable diamonds and rocks.

"Averi?" Robin asked, picking up a small ear clipping from a rock. "What is this place?"

"My claim." I respond blankly. "Everything I've ever made, traded or stolen. It's right here."

"You collected all of this?" Cyborg gaped in shock. "Dang, I didn't know you were such a big hoarder."

My head then swirls around to face him. "I'm not a hoarder!" I argue. "This is all the stuff I wanted to keep or wasn't even worth trading. Almost like a reject pile. I don't value anything I can gain something off of."

There was one wall that was covered in nothing but knives. "Fenris." Raye breathed, running her finger along the blade of a sword. "How many weapons does one wolf need."

I huffed. "Nobody in their sane mind would throw out a good weapon. Besides, each one of those blades has saved my life at least once. I owe it to them."

"Ah, so it's just like an emotional connection?" She teased, but instantly dialed it down when she seen my unamused expression. This was definitely not the time to joke around.

Mika didn't seem too worried. "This place is amazing." She breathed, already starting to try on a few jewels I had. "You shouldn't try to hide it."

Averting my gaze, I just lifelessly shake my head. "This is nothing I should be proud of, Mika." I motion with my head around the corner. "Come with me."