Chapter Twenty-Five

December 15, 2009

Basic fact: Saying what you truly feel is a lot harder than lying about it.  

     Rachelle smiled at the guard and receptionist of the RCL Tower as she passed by on her way to the elevator. One thing that did not escape her notice was how their smiles weren’t quite as cheerful as it was supposed to be. Pity colored their eyes and she couldn’t help but feel even more powerless in her current situation.

     The elevator doors opened and she stepped in, pressing the button for the 15th floor before she stood in one of the back corners. An old lady boarded on the 10th floor and Rachelle felt relieved that the lady didn’t seem to recognize her. The smile she gave had a positive note and not the least bit judgmental. When they reached the 15th floor, she decided to return the lady’s friendliness by waving and greeting her with a “have a nice day” before she stepped out of the elevator.

     Julia Cleveland had just closed the door to their home when Rachelle arrived. Throughout the years, Rachelle had learned to think of her as a second mother. And just as expected, Julia greeted her with warmth and obvious affection.

     “Why, hello dear. I think I haven’t seen you in years. You look good as always.”

     “Thanks, Aunt Julia. And you’re lovely,”Rachelle replied as she kissed Julia’s cheek.

     “Nick’s inside, reading a book and successfully shutting out the world.” She took Rachelle’s hand in both of her hands, something she always did when she needed Rachelle’s help with Nick. “I think he really needs someone to talk to. God knows Hubert and I have tried but he doesn’t seem to want to tell us everything.” She averted her eyes, saddened by her son’s secretive attitude. “He acts like the whole thing is over and done with but I’m sure he still has a lot of emotions he’s keeping.”

     Rachelle smiled then gave her best friend’s mother a hug. “Typical Nick fashion. Don’t worry too much, Aunt Julia. He doesn’t tell me everything either. You know how he is, he’ll only open up when angry or aggravated. And we both know you don’t wish to be on his wrong side.”

     Julia chuckled at that. “True. Busy parents as we are.” She then fixed her eyes on at Rachelle’s. “I guess it’s just you, my dear, who can bravely make him angry without worrying about him throwing you out of his life permanently.”

     “Aww. Please don’t say that. I’m pretty sure he won’t disown his parents. He loves you both too much,” Rachelle replied, hearing a hint of regret in Julia’s voice. His parents were no longer as absent from Nick’s life as they were when he was younger; years of being independent made it hard for him to easily open up to anyone, much less Hubert and Julia.

     The older woman sighed. “We love him too but sometimes I wish I had been there while he was growing up. All the important years and we weren’t there.” She let go of Rachelle’s hand then smiled. “Anyway, I can’t turn back the time, and I guess we just have to make up for it—slowly and surely.”

     “That’s the spirit, Auntie!” came Rachelle’s cheerful encouragement.

     Julia laughed more genuinely this time as she gave her son’s best friend a hug. “I really admire your optimism, darling. Despite, well, all that,” she added in subtle reference to the recent news. She pulled back but kept her hands on Rachelle’s arms. “No wonder Nick’s in—”

     The door suddenly barged open and the subject of their discussion emerged. Both women were surprised at Nick’s abrupt appearance and couldn’t help laughing at his disgruntled expression.