Chapter Seven

May 23, 2006

There are a lot of things only a best friend can do.

     Rachelle walked into the RCL, waving a hand at the security guard and the receptionist just as she always did. She visited Nick’s place too often that she might as well have been a resident. She knew every employee by face and they recognized her back. Many times she had been assumed to be Nick’s girlfriend. And every time that happens, she just laughed and told everyone that it wasn’t possible. She was just the best friend. They all responded with a doubtful look and a smirk.

     “One can never really tell what would happen in the future,” they all said.

     Despite a slight agreement that nagged her in her subconscious, she usually ended up shrugging them all off.

     She reached the elevator which was still currently stuck at the twentieth floor. A guy who could be just her age stopped beside her to wait for the elevator as well. She took a side glimpse at him and saw him do the same.

     He’s cute. And apparently sees something he likes. She gave him her cat’s smile and saw him gather enough confidence to talk to her.

     “Hi. I’m Eric,” he said in a husky voice.

     Sexy.

     He took his right hand from his pocket to shake hers.

     She took his hand and said in her own seductive voice: “Rachelle”.

     “I live at the twenty-first floor.” He grinned at her and tilted his head as if trying to analyze her. “Hmmm, this is the first time I saw you around. You don’t live here, do you?”

     “What made you think so?”

     “Well...Let’s just say you’re quite hard to miss,” he said, looking at her from her shiny, brown hair down to her blue tank top, jeans and burgundy flats.

     She felt slightly offended but she was used to this kind of treatment. The boys wouldn’t even try to hide their interest in her. Her lips thinned slightly but kept the smile on her face. He didn’t have the decency to stop his perusal immediately and continued to gawk at her. She was about to tell him what she thought of his thorough inspection when someone suddenly laid his arm around Eric’s shoulders, surprising him.

     “I suggest you go and ride a different elevator, mate. The girl’s taken.”

     Eric’s eyes widened at the sight of a huge guy who looked like he could take on twenty full-grown men. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead and he began backing away.

     “I-I think I forgot something in my car.” He made a gesture to leave. “I got to go.” He was looking everywhere but Rachelle then scurried off like a scared mouse.

     “He didn’t even notice me,” another guy, this one slightly thinner and taller, said out loud. He was carrying a guitar on his back.

     The elevator arrived and the three of them stepped in. She pressed the button for the fifteenth floor.

     Rachelle looked at her elevator companions with a bit of displeasure then said, “I don’t know who I should be annoyed at: that coward or the two of you.”

     The two guys finally let go of the mirth that they had obviously been keeping and laughed. When they sobered, Kane, the giant drummer, wrapped one of his arms around Rachelle’s back and told Lance: “Did you see that boy’s face? Man, he could have wet his pants!”