Chapter Seventeen

November 5, 2010

Things can get so confusing that I'd rather not think about it.

     Rachelle didn’t know whether to be depressed or not. The October issue of the St. James Chronicles had been published today, Friday, and the article about Nick caught everyone’s attention. She should be happy for her best friend but they hadn’t talked much since Monday and she was afraid that their current situation might have become permanent.

     This morning had made her realize just how much she valued being known as Nick’s best friend. It was one of the few good things that people thought about her. Now, everything was falling apart. Everyone seemed to have picked up their so-called ‘falling-out’ the day her scandalous photos were resurrected. With that, more people started looking at her like the slut they accused her of. She heard Nick telling someone that she was and never will be a slut but it didn’t seem to help. Apparently, even if both of them would insist that they were still friends, it will still be unbelievable considering how no one had seen them together for several days already.  

     There were only two reasons to be happy this week. First was that Nick had obviously started dating Grace. At least her efforts to get Nick a girlfriend had started to give her results. The second reason was that Liam never left her side. People didn’t like how Liam allowed himself to be ‘manipulated’ by Rachelle but his support did not waver. She was glad she had someone with a backbone to lean on to. He even initiated a conversation with Nick and apologized for the things he said. He pulled Rachelle with him Wednesday afternoon so they could make amends.

     “I believe the three of us need to talk,” Liam told Nick before the latter could take a shower after judo practice.

     Nick wasn’t one to bear a grudge so he took a deep breath and led Liam and Rachelle to the coach’s office which was then vacated.

     “I apologize for the things I said last Monday,” Liam began, not wanting to prolong the awkward silence. “I know I went overboard, trying to judge you, when you apparently know Rachelle better than I do.”

     Nick slightly narrowed his eyes on Liam, as if scrutinizing the truth behind his words. When he relaxed his stance, he said, “I’m sorry for letting my anger get to my head. It doesn’t usually happen.”

     Liam nodded in acceptance. He then looked at Rachelle as if expecting her to say something. She looked back at him then at Nick. She took a miserable gulp of air then exhaled with the words: “I’m sorry, Nick. I was upset and I didn’t know what I was thinking.”

     One corner of Nick’s lips lifted up like a half-smile and it was obvious to Rachelle that she was forgiven. “Don’t think about it anymore.”

     She almost ran to hug her best friend when the door opened and she heard a voice say, “Nick, are you in here?”

     Grace’s head then came into view, obviously in search of Nick. Her eyes widened at the sight of the three of them then she whispered, “Oh.” She stood straighter, revealing a green dress and beige sandals. “Sorry. No one told me you had company.” She pointed a thumb backwards. “I guess I’ll wait for you outside.” She smiled at everyone then belatedly, “Hi, Rach.”

     “Hey.”

     Rachelle watched her retreating form then dragged her confused eyes towards Nick.

     “Uh, I asked her to go with me to the H&G. I need a new outfit for the St. James anniversary kick-off next week,” Nick answered her without looking. “Quarter-To-Five’s playing.”