Chapter Thirteen

May 15, 2010

The best way to make a girl reveal what’s on her mind is through a glass of liquor. Well, doesn’t it work on everyone?

     “Good job, girls. You did well for today’s shoot. I’ll see both of you tomorrow,” the director told Rachelle and Jessica Friday afternoon.

     Rachelle’s agent had booked her as endorser for a shampoo commercial that would be broadcast all over Heartlake City. However, Bettina had neglected to mention anything about working with Jessica Kirsch for the said advertisement—much to Rachelle’s dismay. As much as possible, she preferred not doing any project together with her archrival.

     Trying not to get into a fight when they happened to be in the same room was hard enough. Having to spend hours with Jessica was, in all aspects, it was hell. Rachelle had to act nice in front of the camera and hold her tongue until they were back in ‘safer’ ground—their joint dressing room. Now that was the time they could exchange snide comments and never worry about getting fired. She still had to keep her hands to herself though; no matter how much Rachelle wanted to pull those red curls off that pretty little head of hers. After all, a dressing room fight would never slip the producers’ notice.

     “Well, well, well,” Jessica chirped, “Good job, Rachelle. I’m sure you worked hard for today’s shoot.” Her emphasis on ‘worked hard’ did not escape Rachelle’s ears and its meaning easily sunk in.

     Rachelle smiled mockingly at her fellow model. “Nah. Professional models don’t work during shoots. The poses come out naturally. We don’t even need to study to know how to look best in front of the camera.” She waited for Jessica to completely grasp her meaning. “Right?”

     She gave Rachelle her own malicious smile and said, “Of course. Although, professional models should also make sure they improve themselves by getting help from experts in the industry.” She crossed her arms and looked triumphantly at Rachelle. “Exactly the reason why I attended a modeling school abroad.”

     A sarcastic remark was on the tip of Rachelle’s tongue when whispers suddenly erupted and everyone’s eyes seemed to focus on the entrance to the studio. She should not have been surprised with the people’s reactions since she saw what he did to the students at St. James but somehow, she was awed at the effect his presence created. She felt prouder that this hot, gorgeous guy was there because of her. Now this was going to make Jessica boil with jealousy.

     He did his own version of a model’s catwalk as he ambled towards Rachelle. He was wearing jeans and his leather jacket again but this time, he sported a simple green Lacoste jersey polo and a pair of Vans slip-ons. 

     “Hey, Rach,” he greeted with a smile when he reached her side. He glanced at his wristwatch and said, “Right on time.”

     “Of course you are,” she replied, her dimples showing. “You’re the one asking for a favor. You can’t be late.”

     He eyed Rachelle’s old rose-colored tube dress and brown platform shoes before he said, “I assume you’re ready to go?”

     She smiled. “Uh-huh. I guess I am.”

     They turned their backs and had taken less than five steps when Rachelle tugged on Liam’s arm to stop him. He looked at her questioningly.

     “I almost forgot.” She pulled him back to where they were standing a few moments ago. Rachelle turned to Jessica and said, “I am so sorry for being rude. I forgot I wasn’t alone.”

     She waved her hand towards Liam. “Jessica, this is Liam Milton. My friend.” She did the same when she introduced Jessica. “Liam, this is Jessica Kirsch. My…friend.” Her tone had gone sarcastic when she described Jessica. Liam must have caught it because he looked at Rachelle with a knowing glint in his eyes.