Your Beauty like the World

The sky was still blue enough for daytime, but streaks of shades of orange and pink were making their way into the atmosphere, surrounding the sun as it had begun to set.

Ryou and Mariku had their fingers entwined, swinging their arms back and forth as they strolled along the sidewalk, staring at the lovely sky.

"I never understood your mortal obsession with pretty things." Mariku nudged him, squeezing his hand, tightly. "The sky, I mean."

"It's a lovely sky," said Ryou, gazing up. "I guess us mortals like looking at pretty things. We are but a simple people. Sometimes."

Mariku glanced down at him, smiling at the eyes that looked up in wonder. "Yeah," he spoke under his breath. "I guess that'd make me mortal, huh?"

Amongst the colors, there was a part of the sky that had pink meeting blue, blending into a lovely shade of lavender. Ryou pointed to it, asking Mariku if he could see it. When he said he could, Ryou told him, "I see that in your eyes, all the time." Then he looked at him with an adoring smile. "And it's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in the whole wide world."

Mariku blinked a few moments, looking at Ryou. The flattery warmed his heart, and he wanted to pick Ryou up and spin him around. Of course, the public setting only allowed for small amounts of affection, so he firmly kissed Ryou's hand.

Of course, now he was left with an obligation to find something that was flattering to compare Ryou's eyes to. His eyes were brown, so it couldn't be too difficult...right?

He still had the rest of the walk to find something that matched Ryou's eyes.

They walked in the park, eyeing the canopy of trees overhead. The chill of the air made Ryou pull his scarf up to cover his numb, pink nose. Mariku leaned over to him and put his arm around the boy's shoulders. "Cold?"

"Not anymore." Mariku couldn't see Ryou's smile, but his saw the wrinkles by his eyes and his pink cheekbones rise.

If he were comparing something to his hair, then there would hardly be a problem. The clouds, vanilla ice cream, snow, sea foam, coffee foam, whipped cream, marshmallows, etc, etc, etc.
But to compare something to his eyes is more meaningful. His eyes were the windows of his soul. His eyes the biggest and most radiant thing on his face. Mariku needed to think of something that was romantic, flattering, and nearby.

They walked along the road, and Mariku looked around. The mud?
Ah, yes... your eyes remind me of WET DIRT.

So, no. Not mud.

How about the bark on the trees?
Mariku furrowed his brows. Would that be romantic?

Your eyes are like the bark of a tree...

No, that didn't work either.

His thought were interrupted when Ryou let go of his hand and wandered off. Mariku watched him as he picked up something off of the ground.

"A penny!" Ryou chimed, eyeing it with a smile. "It must be my lucky day!"

You: ARTEMIS THEY ARENT EVEN AMERICAN---

ABRAHAM LINCOLN IS BABE-RAHAM LINCOLN

Mariku's eyes lit up. Pennies are brown!

He opened his mouth to speak, but noticed that the penny was bronze and not the brown that made Ryou's eyes sparkle in the lights of the world.

He pouted.

Ryou saw this and offered it to him. "You look like you need luck." He placed it in his palm and smiled. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." He decided to bop Ryou's forehead with his own, and they looked into each other's eyes. Not only were Ryou's irises a dazzling dark brown, they were big and bright and if it were socially acceptable to kiss eyeballs then Mariku would do so.

"Let's sit down for a bit," Ryou proposed, gesturing to a bench that sat in front of the the lake. "I'm getting a bit tired."

So they sat to rest. Ryou leaned against his boyfriend's arm and smiled up at him.

Mariku hadn't noticed, he was too busy scanning the area for something else.
Chocolate? Mulch? Puppies?

"Hey, Ryou?"

Ryou turned and looked up at him, his eyes that beautiful color that's present in everything. "What is it?"

Then Mariku said, "You know what happens when you mix up paints? Mixing the opposites together, all the colors into one that make up one brown color?"

He blinked. "...yeah?"

"I think that's your eyes. Just, all of them. All of the colors."

Ryou could see it in Mariku's face— he was trying.

"Thank you, Mariku. You are very sweet." He pecked his cheek with a lil kiss.

"I don't think I can top that purple sky thing." he snickered. "You have a way with words."

"That's how I get them bitches." Then he let go of his hand and quickly skipped down the sidewalk.

Mariku scoffed, and sped after him. "ARE YOU CALLING ME A BITCH?!?!?"

Ryou went from skipping to sprinting, laughing too hard to move quickly.