Family

PhanTrashWhovian478 suggested this
But I may of may not have tweaked it

Ryou nervously waited by the door as Melvin got their stuff together.
"So...this is it, huh?" He said to him as Melvin held him close. "After today...we're pretty much...parents."

"Are you having second thoughts? We don't have to do this."

"No, I think we should do this." Ryou pulled Melvin closer, kissing him gently before adding, "After all, having someone, you know, smaller than us around, it might help us get closer."

"Maybe."

Ryou looked up to Melvin, offering a smile. "Ready?"

Returning the smile, he nodded. "Ready."

On the way there, they discussed the important things.
"So, are you the 'mom'?" Melvin asked Ryou, who shrugged.

"We're both men. Just because I'm more submissive doesn't mean anything."

Melvin laughed. "Okay, Mom."

Ryou rolled his eyes. "It doesn't matter. I mean, all that will matter is our new family, right?"

"Right." Melvin held Ryou's hand, giving it a squeeze. "To be honest, I'm a little nervous."

"You'll make a wonderful parent. I don't doubt you in the slightest." Ryou looked up at him with a smile of reassurance. "After all, we're in this together."

He sighed and gave a quick nod. "Okay."

Ryou thought for a moment. "Do you think they'll have a name already?"

"I don't know." They had thought of one just in case, but Melvin still said, "...what was the name we agreed on, again?"

"Melvin, you little shit!"

"WOW. I'm kidding!!!" Then he laughed. "You've never called me a little shit before."

"I'm sorry..." Ryou felt bad, until he felt Melvin's arm wrap around his shoulders.
"I've just got the jitters..."

"No problem. I'm nervous too. And I do remember the name. I'm not that horrible."

***

"Charlotte?" Ryou frantically began checking their home. "Charlotte, where are you?"

Melvin rushed out from the bathroom. "Not in the bathroom."

Tears welled in Ryou's eyes. "I don't get it...we've checked everywhere! Where...where could she...?"
He sniffled, and then he started to cry. "It's only been an hour, and we've failed!"

"No." Melvin let Ryou curl up in his arms, and he tried his best to comfort him. Even as he did this, he agreed-- was this why they said gay people shouldn't be parents? Or was it because there'd be that endless cycle of "I don't know, go ask your mom."?
"Ryou, we have not failed, okay? Charlotte is still pretty small for her age. She could easily hide somewhere, but we can keep looking. Okay?"

Ryou wiped his eyes and nodded. "You're right."

"Of course I'm right. And you doubted me." Melvin began to check under the tables and other furniture. "Maybe she just hid because she doesn't like the name Charlotte."

"Charlotte is a wonderful name!"

"Maybe, but 'Knocks' is so much cooler."

"No." Ryou checked under pillows and behind the curtains, but still he felt that 'Knocks' was the most ridiculous name. "Where would you even come up with that?"

"Google."

"Do not trust Google for anything. I thought you'd know that."

"Google isn't completely useless, you know. I think you're talking about Bing."

"We're getting sidetracked! Let's just focus on the task at hand!"

"Okay, okay!" Melvin threw his hands up in surrender. Still he muttered, "Bing sucks, though."

Ryou inhaled sharply through his nose. "You know, maybe we wouldn't have lost her if it weren't for you!"

"Me?!"

"Yes! I told you to watch her while I finished up the laundry! I come back and-- poof! She's gone!"

"Are you seriously blaming me!?" Melvin stood up and faced him. "How is that my fault? Charlotte's tiny! How could I have seen that she left? I was sitting right next to her! I just went to the kitchen to get my camera, and she disappeared!"

"So it is your fault!" Ryou turned and pointed a finger at him. "You couldn't wait for your bloody camera until I got back?"

"Well, shit! I didn't know that every single thing I did had to be under your supervision and consent, Ryou!"

"I'm not saying that! All I'm saying is that perhaps you shouldn't leave Charlotte alone!"

"I was gone for thirty seconds, tops."

"A lot can happen in thirty seconds, Melvin!"

"How the hell was I supposed to know she would have left?"

Ryou opened his mouth and pointed his finger, but couldn't say anything. He was just shocked in all that had just happened.
"Look at us." Ryou dropped his hand and lowered his head. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pinned the blame on you."

Melvin sighed and pulled Ryou in for a hug. "I didn't need the camera. I'm sorry, too."

They kissed, making up for all the yelling and blaming. Ryou leaned against him, tearing up but breathing softly, trying to figure out how they had gotten to where they were. Against his chest, Ryou mumbled, "You know how raising a little one could bring a couple closer together?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"I feel like we haven't gotten so angry over something like this before. I don't know if that's for a healthy relationship, but..." Ryou shook his head. "I don't like arguing at all."

"Me neither." Melvin replied, letting Ryou hold both of his hands. "To be honest, I've never felt so attacked until right now."

"I know. It was wrong. I'm sorry."

"You already apologized. I forgive you, Creampuff." Then he ruffled his hair.

Ryou smiled brightly, until he saw a large spider crawl over Melvin's shoulder and down his chest.
"Oh, for Ra's sake!"

"How long has she been here!?!?!?!?" Melvin's eyes widened, and he held the tarantula in his hands.

Ryou laughed, mostly in relief. "She must've crawled onto your back when you went to the kitchen, I suppose."

"That sneaky little shit!!!" Melvin smiled and held Charlotte up higher for Ryou to see. "She gets it from me, I guess." Then he kissed her.

"Well, she loves your cape as much as you do." Ryou took her from Melvin's hands. "And you're both pretty mischievous. But she's smart, like me."

"Are you saying I'm not smart...?"

"I'm saying that I'm smarter."

"In book smarts, maybe." Melvin smiled, pulling Ryou and Charlotte closer to him. "But I love you all the same."