Chapter 5: How we met

Alima's POV

My new home from now on. The landlord, although blind, was nice to give me such a well furnished place and surprisingly expensive. Maybe the previous owner didn't bother about the furniture or did the landlord make a mistake? Either way, it's in my favour. And it was even better than the slum my uncle wanted me to stay in.

"Yes, you don settle down?" The blind landlord said. "Ah yes, thank you sir and I promise to pay early on the instalments." I assured him.  
Although I just got a job at a private secondary school, the pay is quite commendable, but this accommodation is still too expensive for me to pay at once. Who knew living in V. I (Victoria island) is this expensive. If my parents knew, they will definitely not let me smell V. I sef or they might tell me to resign at my work. My parents can be scary sometimes.

"Yes yes, you lucky well well. This na the only vacant apartment for this compound. So if you get any problem for the house meet Waheed, he go help with the electricity, the plumbing, the fixing of any electronics, even capenter work e fit do." he assured me with a huge grin.

"Thank you sir." I thanked him again before he finally left. 
I swerved round the place in delight. Finally, i was out of home, out of Bayelsa state. I feel so happy. I move around to explore my new place. The kitchen is quite modern, the bathroom is small but cute, the living room is very nice. Let me check out my room. The room is empty but it has a bed and cupboards. Not bad. There is another room close to the kitchen. Oh? It's locked. Maybe I will tell the landlord  to get me the keys tomorrow morning.

I decide to take a bath after arranging my things in the other room. Aaahhhh, what is this blissful feeling? Oh,  I know. No siblings to annoy me, no parent to reprimand me and definitely no unwelcome relations to pop in unannounced. Miss them tho. Wrapping myself in my towel, I move out of my room to the kitchen to boil hot water for bath. This is going to be a new start, a new beginning, maybe a chance to fall in love. Hehehe. Ha, I should call my parents that I got a place just that I won't tell them it's an expensive place. I step out of the kitchen when something caught my eyes and I stopped, my eyes moved to the entrance of the house.

A man. He...he...he looked....pissed?  Wait was that a smirk? 

"I didn't know this was what I was coming home to" He dropped his bag on the couch. "Quite a welcome home gift." Still smirking.

Uhmmmm who is this guy? I scan him, he looks like a guy in his twenties or late twenties, rough looking.  What is this? Is he some kind of thug. I just remembered I  was in a TOWEL!!!.

"Wh-wh-who are you?" I stammered, my throat felt dry.

"Hmm, don't you think I should be the one asking you that?" he raised an eyebrow, still standing at the foot of the entrance watching me, he gave me a stare that made me feel like he was undressing me.

He took a step forward. Oh no. "STOP!" I raise my hand to stop him from coming any further while the other held my towel in a firm grip. Oh dear, if this intruder, sees my "lady" everything, I would just die, just die. And where is the landlord sef.

"How did you get in?" he asked. 

How did I get... Huh?  Is he...? I quivered.

"It's quite interesting, that I travel for a month and I am welcomed by a woman in a towel in my apartment. How dramatic." he drawled. Soon as he was done talking, another guy comes in.

"Ah, oga Tayo you don come." he slaps the Tayo guy on his palm. Laughing and exchanging greetings. This is getting awkward, I should try to get out of this towel first. I sneakily move towards my room but.....

"Stop right there." interrupted me from escaping. I looked at the Tayo guy, who just commanded me. He looked pissed. He faced back to the other guy from earlier.

"Eh Ehn, Waheed, who she be and how she take enter my house?" he points a finger at my direction.

"Oh, na the new tenant wey baba landlord just get.  Na today sef she come." Waheed responded.

His expression, I couldn't describe but it was anything from smiling. He looked back at me.  "Tenant....for my apartment?" he asked for confirmation. "Tenant?" He gives me a questioning look.

"He told me it was vacant." I responded quickly. His chuckled laughter filled the room. Why do I look like a culprit? I paid half payment for this apartment already and I will pay the rest later, but this thug looking guy comes and says it's his house? What the hell?

"Excuse me...." I interrupted this awkward situation and told Waheed or whatever his name was, to get the Landlord so he can settle this matter. Urghhh. My blissful feeling was gone.

Soon as the landlord came, I had already changed into a comfortable loose gown. It's better than being in a towel surrounded by men. 

"Baba landlord, i hear say you don get new tenant." the Tayo guy asked.

"Yes, for that vacant apartm-..." he was cut short by Waheed, "ha. Babaaa,  na oga Tayo place, you give am." 
Shock grew out of the landlord face realising his mistake.

What the heck. What happens to me?

Tayo looks at me with a 'what are you going to do' look. I hate this.

"Baba what about me paying half the rent and..... I can't really say it was entirely your fault." What the hell, considering he was blind, he could make that mistake but I got too excited about an apartment that was already furnished, thinking It was luck.

"Auntie, you have to go look for another place ooo" Waheed interrupted my thoughts. Geez why is he even talking to me? I was already pissed.

"Mhmm, I still get the money sef." The landlord joins in.  They are ready to push me out.

I decided it was inevitable, I walk to my room when this Tayo guy who had been quiet said, "Baba,  since e don pay half payment already, e fit stay. I mean since I dey barely stay for house, e fit accommodate am while am away so it doesn't get dusty." he gave me a small smile.

What does he mean? I look at him with a puzzled look.

"It means you can stay." he confirms my thoughts. He gets up, taking his bag from the couch.

With the agreement the landlord and Waheed leaves the apartment back to their quarters. So I can actually stay.  Yay? But, why do I feel confused?

The landlord came back and asks, "Tenant, sorry, abeg you be boy or girl? " he yells.

"I'm a g-" 

"A boy" the Tayo guy cuts me off.

Huh?

He looks at me with a finger across his lips to shush me.  Wh...What.

"OK, e good." The landlord smiles and leaves.

"What the hell was that." I bite out

"letting you stay. And also I expected a 'thank you'." He came closer. Too close for comfort. He bends a little, face very very close to mine. Damn my heart skipped a beat. "I already miss the girl in the towel." He whispers to my ear, still smirking and heads to his room. Which was the room that was locked.

Shit. Did he see me blush? 

So that's how I met a very perverted guy for a roommate. 

Arrghh. Maybe I should have punched that smug look off his face.

-----------------------------------------------

A/n : hi.  It's another week.
I know Aff been lazy since the beginning of this new year.  M sowi. 
So today's chapter feels a bit longer.
Hope you enjoyed it still?

Any comments, please let me know.  Love to hear your thoughts on it. I will definitely appreciate.

As always thanks for your time.
Love y'all.

P.S. :  It's a new week n work starts on Monday. So i MIGHT go back to my old updating time schedule. That is,  every Tuesdays and Thursdays. Thanks.