Chapter 2- A hasty escape

Cara's POV

The pain in my side was unbearable, but I ran away regardless.

A sharp pain caused me to groan. Then, I heard fast footsteps.

The man was after me.

Dashing through the darkened streets I desperately tried to lose him, but he was hot on my tail all the way.

Resorting to a different tactic, I begun scaling the walls of a dottore. The labyrinth of rooftops seemed never ending, but I finally saw my house over the pointed rooftops.

Despite having my destination in my sights, the man managed to chase me to the chapel. I'm not entirely sure how.

At the top of the steeple, I realised that I had run out of places to run.

"You can't run forever!" The man shouted, finally catching up. It was around this time that I noticed he was in white Assassin robes. I was being pursued by an Assassin.

"Please, leave me be!" I begged, not having it in me to fight anymore. He begun scaling the steeple and forced me to do something crazy.

Pushing off from the steeple, I glided through the air into a haystack below. It was an act of incredible trust for myself, but I was certainly grateful for the escape route and- more than anything- the safe landing in a deep haystack.

Getting out and brushing myself down, I ran to the gates of my home and struggled frantically with the latch. The rust was making it incredibly hard to open and I grew increasingly frustrated.

"Mierda!" I cursed.

"Ladies should use no such language." The man stalked towards me and I realised, this was it. This was...The end.

I cowered against the fence as he advanced closer.

"What do you want?! Money?!" I begun desperately offering.

"No sigñora." He had a thick accent.

"Who are you?" I demanded, straightening up my posture, but still clutching at my bleeding wound.

"Ezio Auditore Da Firenze. And you?"

"Cara Marie Estrellas. You're from Firenze too?" It was slightly comforting that my killer was from the same place as I was.

"Yes. Where did you learn that?"

"Learn what?"

"The fighting, the running with no sound, the climbing?" He seemed fascinated by me.

"I don't know I just... I don't know. My father was raised by Assassins when his parents died as a boy. But that has nothing to do with me. Why?" I kept up the small talk, feeling more warm blood trickle between my fingers.

"It was astounding. Come with me." He ordered. I couldn't go with him, and for more reasons than one.

It was my eighteenth birthday tomorrow and I had to be able to open that box. I was pretty sure that it was early morning now.

"No, I can't." I stated, plainly.

"Why not?" He asked, turning back to me.

He had squared facial features and a scar down his lip. I wondered what from.

"I...I don't know if I should tell you." He might as well know, but then again what if Papa had wanted it to be private?

"What is wrong, sigñora?"

"I have to be somewhere. I can meet you later if you want, but I cannot miss this."

"Very well sigñora. Meet me at the steeple of that church, midday." He instructed, motioning to the church.

"Very well. Now I must be off."

And with that, I went inside to bandage the wound.

Ezio's POV

We agreed on a place to meet, then she disappeared inside her house.

I decided to return to the Isola Tiberina. I needed to talk to someone.

As I arrived in Niccolò's office, a thought sprung to mind.

"Ah, Ezio!"

"Niccolò. Do you remember Falco Estrellas?"

"Sì. The star assassin in his day. What makes you ask such a question?"

"I met his daughter, Cara Marie Estrellas yesterday." If this woman was who I thought she was, she had talents other Assassins could only dream of.

"Really? I am expecting to be seeing her later."

My eyes widened at this. What could be possibly want with her?

"Might I ask what for?"

"I, or she, will tell you all in good time." He said, his words revealing nothing.

Cara's father had been nicknamed 'The star Assassin.' This was because in España estrellas means stars. I wondered if she shared the same traits as her father.

And with that thought in mind, I headed to the steeple of the church.