Four

It was raining heavily by the time I got to Sophie's house. I was soaked to the bone, water running in streams down my face.

"Sophie!" I hammered onto the wooden front door. "Sophie are you there?"

There were sounds of a key in the lock and the door opened slightly, half of Sophie's face peeking out at me.

"Holly?" She asked in disbelief, opening the door slightly wider. "Holly, what on earth are you doing?" 

There was the sound of footsteps from behind her, a voice asking; "Who is it babe?" The door opened further, to reveal her husband Andrew, a tall, slender man who worked in an office. I had met him a few times now, so we knew each other quite well. They both stared at me for a few moments, a mixed expression of confusion and surprise on both their faces.

I wiped my shaky hands over my cheeks, sniffing, the rain mixing with my tears. "Bill dumped me."

Sophie turned to her husband, resting her hand gently on her chest. "Andy, darling, go put the kettle on. It might be a long night."

Andrew and Sophie had been married for about two and a half years, and had known each other for five years before then. Sophie had gotten pregnant just under five months ago, and had moved from their apartment into this house so that they had room for the baby. Bill and I had gone to their housewarming party, that'd been the first time I had been out with anyone properly since Shane.

Sophie came in the room, sitting down beside me and handing me a hot mug. I had been taken into the front room, seated in front of the fire and had been given a large blanket. Andrew had taken some of my clothes from my bag and put them in the dryer, so that I could get changed later.

Minty, Sophie's cat from her shop, who was now getting too old to stay there, jumped up beside us, tucking himself snugly beside Sophie's leg.

"So, do you wanna tell me what happened?" she asked, turning to face me, wistfully petting Minty's furry stomach and giving me a warm smile.

I sighed, tucking my legs under myself and leaning forward, the warmth from the mug seeping through into my fingers. Still sniffing slightly, I began to explain to her what had happened between Bill and myself; our disagreements, Bill getting angry at me, the shouting, everything.

She just sat there, nodding at me. 

I wasn't quite sure why I'd instantly gone to Sophie, as far as I knew, she had never experienced anything like this. Yes, she'd been through heartbreak, but she was brilliant at getting over people quickly.

Flynn would be more useful with helping me, he had been messed around and screwed over by so many people that it wasn't possible to keep count anymore.

"Please Soph, help me." I begged, turning my head to give her a desperate look.

She reached out, rubbing my back gently. "Oh I don't know, boys are assholes. You've just gotta keep your head held high, that'll show him."

"That doesn't really help."

"Well, I'm sure he wasn't thinking and soon enough he'll realize how stupid he's been. First thing tomorrow morning, he'll be calling you up and pleading with you to come home." She paused a moment before patting my leg gently. "You can stay here tonight, I hope the couch is comfy enough."

Andrew suggested that, while my clothes dried, I took a shower to warm up a little. I gladly took the offer, and scurried upstairs to their little bathroom, peeling off my damp clothing and stepping into the hot stream of water.

It was comforting to know that I at least had Sophie to depend on, and Andrew of course. I couldn't stay on their sofa forever, so I would eventually have to sort things out, either with Bill or with the rest of my life.

After about ten minuets, there was a knock on the bathroom door, Sophie's voice calling through; "Hey Holl, your clothes are done. I'll leave them outside the door for you love."

I smiled, sighing a small sigh of a relief. No matter how many bad people there was out there, at least Sophie and Andrew were around.

"Soph," I called out, not sure if she'd already gone again, or even if she'd be able to hear me through the door. "Thanks for everything."

"I'd suggest you go to Flynn's place, he's got a spare room and it'd be more comfortable than this, but he's probably passed out drunk somewhere." Sophie said, giving me a smile. It faded slightly when she said; "I hope you're OK love, it's not fair that he's done this to you. Especially at this time of year."

"I don't wanna think about it." I murmured, turning my back towards her.

She was quiet a few moments, I could just see her out the corner of my eye, stood stock still but waving her hands about like she was talking frantically about something. Finally she started making her way to the stairs, calling back to me: "Alright, good night. Sleep well," adding a little, "You look after her Minty," when the cat walked in.

The light flickered off, leaving me alone in the warm glow of the fire, gently crackling away in the stone fireplace.

Usually my nightly routine was very similar, I'd snuggle into bed beside Bill, tucking my head into the crook of his neck, and we'd whisper to each other how much we loved each other, before drifting into a happy sleep.

But now, my only company was a old, fat cat and the welcoming fire. Not really the comfort of a loving boyfriend.

"Holly?" It sounded like Bill's voice. "Holly, are you awake?"

I frowned, my eyes still shut, unsure if I was hearing things.

"Leave her be, if she's sleeping I doubt much will wake her." another voice hissed, slightly further away. "Just leave her coffee on the table, she can always heat it up if it's cold."

There were a few clicking noises around me, and everything fell quiet again.

Andrew and Sophie must've woken up and be going through their morning routine. Not wanting to get in their way, I got up, yawning and rubbing my eyes. Minty, who must've been curled up beside me, stood up, stretching his legs out. He mewed at me a few times, nudging me with his nose.

I reached out and scratched his head, smiling. "Sorry cat, I don't have any food for you." I told him quietly, running my hands over his small furry body.

"Oh, are you awake love?" Sophie stuck her head round the door frame, smiling at me. "Want anything to eat? You can take your pick out of anything in the kitchen."

Minty looked up, hopping down from the seat and trotting into the kitchen, mewing desperately at Sophie to feed him.

I reached for the mug that Andrew had brought, sipping at the hot coffee. Eventually Sophie came through, sitting down beside me and switching the tv on. In her hand was a plate of toast, which she nibbled at occasionally, too focused on the news channel she was watching.

She didn't try to make conversation with me, she just stayed quiet, eating her toast.

"Babe, where are my keys?" Andrew shouted from the stairs, running down.

Sophie thought for a few moments, before calling back; "In your coat pocket darling."

Andrew sighed happily, coming through to kiss Sophie on the forehead. He was dressed in a neat suit, his tie handing around his neck. He looked very smart, probably off to an important conference with his job. He gave me a smile, kissing Sophie and quickly taking one of her pieces of toast, snatching it away before she could stop him.

"I think I might call Flynn. It'll be better if I can stay with him." I murmured, drumming my fingers against my mug. "I'm sorry I've been so much of a bother."

She gave me a half sympathetic, half happy smile. "Oh Holl, you weren't a bother. I'd love to see you more, it feels like I haven't seen you for ages." she told me, patting my shoulder. "You can stay over whenever you like, we always have the couch for you to sleep on."

With a gentle sigh, I nodded, staring down at my hands.

"How about you go get dressed and I'll get you something to eat." She suggested, nudging me with her elbow. "You like eggs?"