Two

"Oh Holly, look at that! Isn't it so precious?" Bill cooed, pointing into a shop window. "We should get it, it'd look perfect in the front room." he went to crouch beside the window, already reaching into his back pocket for his wallet.

It took me a few moments to realize what he was looking at - a small glass snow globe with two puppies inside, their noses pushed together. I didn't care for it in the slightest. Christmas was just an excuse to buy tacky decorations and spend way too much money on food. I hated it. The only reason I had agreed to come Christmas shopping with Bill was so that we could actually get out the house together.

He completely ignored the fact I wasn't interested. "It's like us two, but as little dogs. We have to get it Holly."

"Fine, but can you do it quickly? I'm getting cold." I muttered, pulling my jacket closer around myself.

He stood up straight and sighed, turning to me. "C'mon Holly, lighten up. It's Christmas, you're meant to have fun."

"Well I don't like Christmas, so I can't have fun." I pouted, crossing my arms stubbornly.

"Holly, please," Sighing angrily, he cupped his hands around my cheeks and tilted my head up so that I was looking into his eyes, "Just please, enjoy yourself a little. Let me buy this one thing and we can go home, yeah?" Although his voice was hard he kissed my nose, giving me a smile. "Just give me two seconds."

Bill went inside the little shop to buy the snow glove, leaving me outside in the cold.

He always did that, he always got frustrated at me and talked at me, he never shouted or raised his voice. As far as I could tell it was only with me that he kept calm, he was fine with going completely crazy at Tom or his friends. It was ridiculous. I wasn't frightened of people shouting at me, I might avoid them for a little while, but I wasn't afraid of it. He treated me like I was a young child. It was insulting.

"Are you done?" I asked when he came out, a plastic bag around his wrist.

"Yep, c'mon. I wanna start decorating properly when we get home." He said, smiling, hooking his arm around my waist

I groaned. I had managed to keep the twins from putting up too many decorations around the house to spare me from having to look at it all, but seen as though it was getting closer to christmas he wanted to put things up.

He took the snow globe out his bag, shaking it, then examining it closely. Watching as the fake snow drifted slowly around the little figures inside. "You have to say it's very cute." He murmured, holding it in front of me, so that I could watch the soppy little scene play out.

"I dont like it." I muttered, pushing his hand away.

Probably rolling his eyes, he sighed, shoving the little ornamant back into the bag. He pulled his arm from around my waist and shoved his hands into his pockets, quickening his pace so that I would have to run to catch him up.

The car was deadly silent on the way home, Bill didn't even put on the radio like he usually did.

Yes, it was my fault he was angry. Yes, I could try a little harder to be happier. But I didn't want to force myself into liking Christmas. Not for Bill, not for anyone.

He didn't exactly storm into the house, but it was clear he was annoyed. I couldn't find him when I went inside, so I presumed that he had gone upstairs to take his anger out on something, probably the bedding. Usually when he was in a mood I would go upstairs and comfort him, but seen as though he was angry as a result of something I had done, I thought it best to leave him to it. Instead  I sat myself down in front of the TV, skipping through channels filled with snowmen and reindeer.