Putting on a Show

Start from the beginning

I was busy putting my clothes away when there was a short knock on my door, I turned to see Nick peek his head in before walking in and taking a seat on my bed. “Come sit, we need to talk.” Ugh, in the excitement of movie night promises I had forgotten all about the inevitable trouble I was in, setting the stack of clothes down on the dresser I took a seat next to Nick with a sigh. “The way you behaved earlier today was…”

“I know,” there was no need for him to finish, I could think of plenty of words to fill in the blank: unacceptable, out of line, uncalled for, horrible, disappointing… “I’m sorry Nicky, I don’t know what came over me today” I said shooting him my best puppy dog eyes.

Nick shook his head in confusion, “What did Matt do that upset you so much, I don’t think I have ever seen you act so ugly like that toward anyone besides Joe or I.”

“I heard him talking to Joe about how he thought I broke up with him because of high blood sugar and that now I was ‘better’ maybe we would get back together…he is a presumptuous jerk and I just didn’t trust him with Zelda.” I spat. “It also frustrates me to no end that you guys only see the good in Matt and the bad in Josh…Matt has treated me so badly lately and you welcome him into this house yet Josh was by my side the entire time through diagnosis and has treated me with nothing but kindness and he is banished.” I paused taking a breath and noting Nick’s still firm composure.

Time to break out the big guns

I dropped my head flaring my nostrils and closing off my throat instantly causing my eyes to water before bringing my eyes back to Nick’s “I still shouldn’t have acted the way I did, I’m so sorry…it’s like…I couldn’t control it.” I watched as Nick’s face softened and he sighed rubbing the back of his neck.

END SCENE…I should be an actress.

“Cee…I know what it feels like to have your body literally buzz with anger over the tiniest thing when sugar spikes or how it feels to drop into a low that makes you feel so bad that you think you might be dying.  I know it contributed to your foul language today but it does not excuse it.”

“I know, I didn’t mean to, it just…came out…I know that isn’t an excuse, it was my fault for letting myself drop so low like that.”

Add a little guilt trip…

 “Cee, one thing you will learn very quickly is that you can do everything right and still drop into a low or spike into a high…the only one and true constant about diabetes is that it is completely unpredictable. You just need to be more mindful about checking your sugars, the more diligent you are, the less chance you have at falling into a bad low like you did today.”

“I suck at being a diabetic.”

And now for the pity…

Nick chuckled bringing his arm up to wrap around my shoulder before pulling me into a side hug. “Baby girl, things will get better…pretty soon this stuff will be routine, until then you need to try to keep your attitude and language in check…I can’t keep chalking this bad behavior up to a bad betes day.”

I nodded against Nick’s shoulder, “I will.”

"Good…Movie time?" Nick asked slapping his hands on his thighs.

I nodded smirking. "What's the movie of the night?"

"I’m thinkin sports movie like Little Giants or League of Their Own . . .or we could do a musical like Little Shop of Horrors or Annie," Nick grinned.

Nodding, I considered my choices. "Definitely a musical for Cat’s first Jonas family movie night but I can’t choose, you choose." I frowned as Nick chuckled.

"Nope, which one will it be?" Nick prodded eager for me to decide.

"Both are really good, I say we make Cat decide."

A smile tugged at Nick’s lips, “Excellent idea, we will play it off as the guest getting to choose that way we don’t have to actually make a decision.”

Nick and I headed downstairs and he gave me a cheeky grin as I plopped down onto the couch next to Cat. "So Cat, are you ready to embrace a Jonas family tradition."

"As long as it doesn’t involve me doing something dangerous, strenuous, and or involve using my brain, count me in.”

I looked over my shoulder to see Nick smirking at his girlfriend. "This little tradition involves none of the above…we are doing a family movie night."

"That sounds like fun, what movie are we watching?"

I smirked. "We were thinking a musical, either Little Shop of Horrors or Annie, since you are our guest we will let you choose."

"Hmmmm . . . I'm thinking Annie."

I clapped my hands together and grinned. "Great it's settled!

“So what are we watchin?” Joe asked as he walked in from the kitchen carrying the signature Jonas movie popcorn bowl and handing it to me, the sheer size of it took up my entire lap.

“WOAH, you guys don’t mess around when it comes to movie night do you? That thing is HUGE!” Cat nearly squealed taking a handful of popcorn and shoving it into her mouth.

 “That’s what she said.”   I mused, causing her to nearly choke on her popcorn, “That’s also what she said.”

“Alright…eww.” Nick piped in grabbing the popcorn from my lap and giving me a halfhearted glare.

“Seriously inappropriate,” Joe added grabbing a handful of popcorn, “but seriously well played.”

I smirked, “Thank you.” I said standing to grab a handful of popcorn only to be blocked by Nick.

“Ah ah you aren’t ready for the movie yet…” he said cocking a brow at me, I stared blankly back at him before running to the kitchen.

“Can’t have movie night without candy!” I announced as I walked back into the living room moments later waving a bag of candy in the air. Nick let out a sigh before handing Cat the large bowl of popcorn. “I’m kidding Nicky!” I shoved him playfully before removing my testing kit from my back pocket and taking a seat next to Cat. Plugging a testing strip into the meter I pricked my pinkie and fed a bead of blood onto the end of the strip. “92!” I nearly squealed and Nick held out his hand for a congratulatory five which I proudly took.

“You can stand to come up about thirty points before bed so you don’t bottom out in the middle of the night.” My smile grew.

“Soooo…I can have some popcorn now…?” I questioned hopefully, Nick chuckled nodding his head and taking a seat on the other side of Cat as I scooped a large handful of popcorn from the tub. “Let’s get this party started…I’m ready to sing!”

Chapter End Notes:

Hokay so its been forever...I'm Molly, in case you have forgotten...*waves* nice to meet you all again...sorry its been so long...life got in the way. Thoughts on this chapter? predictions?

This chapter is dedicated to a fantastic writer here on Wattpad, Kristal and it just so happens to be her birthday today...HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTAL!!!