Swearing Off Boys

5:00PM

Walking into the warm house, I quickly shed my coat before walking into the kitchen to see my family standing around with glasses of wine. "Baby girl!" Joe yelled out as I walked over to give him a hug.

"You're cold!" He stated putting his warms hands on my cheek. "Why didn't you get a ride home?"

Smiling weakly, I rubbed my hands on my arms to warm them up. "I needed to do some thinking. Lots of information to think over..."

"What kind of information?" Kevin asked stepping up to give me a hug as he traded looks with Joe and Nick.

Wrapping my arms around him, a sense of comfort surrounded me. "Morgan told me of the rumors that are going around school."

"Kids are so cruel. What kind of rumors?" Dani asked resting a hand on her pregnant belly.

Leaning on the counter, I took a deep breath not knowing how the information would go over with my siblings. "Apparently I'm an cutter with cancer and an eating disorder that only has a few days to live."

"Cee has cancer?" Ellie cried rushing into the room and straight into my arms.

Picking her up, I put her on the counter before looking into her eyes. "No baby. There are some mean people at school who are spreading rumors about me."

"Oh! Why are they doing that?" The innocence in the question made me smile.

Hugging her closely, I looked at my family before sighing. "Because they don't know the facts, and when people don't know, they assume."

"And you know what happens when you assume?" Joe asked as Kevin and Dani gave him the glare to shut up.

"What Uncle Joey?" Ellie asked as I tried to stifle my giggle.

He walked over to Ellie leaning over to lock eyes with her, "They look like silly fools when the information comes out and they were wrong."

She giggled as she wiggled on the counter. "Can I go play now?"

"Nope, not until you pay the toll." I said tapping my finger to my cheek. Ellie quickly delivered the goods before jumping down from the counter and skipping out of the room. "Joey you almost cussed in front of the child." I accused as Dani and Kevin both shook their heads.

"I was going to keep it PG." Joe defended as I laughed.

"Uh huh...like you kept it PG when I was her age?" I questioned cocking a brow.

Joe smirked with pride "Hey in my defense I was young and stupid then...plus it was fun seeing how many bad words we could teach you."

"My guardian, ladies and gentlemen." I said shooting Joe a smile before walking out of the kitchen.

Settling on the couch, I sighed letting the past three hours come crashing down on me. Rubbing my hands over my face, I knew I had a lot to think about.

"Are you alright?" Dani asked breaking the silence that was surrounding me. "You look like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders."

I motioned for her to take a seat, "Have you talked to Matt?" Dani asked taking a seat next to me and curling her feet up underneath her.

"I called him today." I started. "I asked him why he didn't come see me and he gave me this crap answer, but I did manage to figure something out from my conversation with him."

Dani rubbed her hand on my back. "What's that?"

"I need to figure out everything in my life before I can add the craziness of a relationship back into it. Between diabetes, school, rumors, and everything else, I have way too much on my plate right now to think about boys."

"But Matt -," Dani started.

I shook my head ending her protest. "Eventually, when I date again, it may not be Matt. I don't know who I want to date."

"So you're swearing off boys?" Dani asked.

Nodding, I smiled. "For a while, yes I am."

"Well the guys will be happy to hear that."

Noise traveled through the hallway as the boys entered the living room. "What are we going to be happy to hear?"

"Your sister is swearing off boys for a while." Dani said as I received three eyebrows raised in question.

"I thought you were going to talk to Matt about getting back together." Nick asked as I huffed in response.

Standing up, I looked at the three boys. "First off, stop pushing Matt on me. I broke up with him for a reason and I wish you all would trust my judgment and accept my decision! Secondly, I was thrown a curveball with diabetes and now with the impending doom of school and rumors, I have to sort through some stuff before bringing in more drama with a guy."

"Cee . . ." Kev started looking at me with sad eyes. "We're not pushing anyone on you. We just want you to be happy."

"No, you guys want me to be happy WITH MATT. Did you even stop to realize that he never came to visit me in the hospital? Josh was there every day," I paused. "I'm friends with Josh and that's something you guys are going to have to accept. He's in my life, not romantically, but he's a friend and he is special to me."

Nick raised his hand as I rolled my eyes. "We aren't too fond of Josh and we're just watching out for you."

"I don't need you to protect me from Josh, if he has proven anything this past week it's that he cares for me." I argued.

"She does have a point there." Cat said piping in and receiving a glare from all three boys. "What?? She is right, the entire time she was in the hospital Josh was a regular, stopping by daily and seeing how she was and if she needed anything."

"Yes, well, I still don't trust him...he seems like a boy with an agenda to me." Joe said crossing his arms across his chest.

"THANK YOU!" Nick said gesturing to Joe, "Agreed, I don't trust him."

"Do you trust me?" I asked ignoring their assumptions and putting on an innocent smile which caused my brothers to chuckle.

Nodding, Nick sighed. "For the most part, yes."

"Then trust me with Josh." I said crossing my arms over my chest.

"Fine, but he isn't allowed in this house..." Joe added, I rolled my eyes before pushing past my brothers and retreating to my room for homework until dinner was ready.