24.

Karin Mendez

"Christian you're moving too fast." I said as he rolled me outside in the wheelchair.

"Shut up before I roll your ass in the bushes. I know what I'm doing." He yanked my hair back and I blew out a breath.

"Watch out for that rock." I said before he rolled over it making me almost fall out of the damn wheelchair.

"Boy get out the way. Nobody could trust your ass to do nothing. That's what's wrong with these dark skin boys." My dad said taking over the control of the wheelchair.

Here they go.

"Nigga you dark skin too! Never mind you black as hell." I chuckled and my dad punched him in the chest.

"Curse again and imma beat yo ass black and blue." Daddy warned as he placed me in the front seat.

"Where's Cass?" I asked as he pulled out of the hospital parking lot.

"She's at home making sure everything is good for you."

"She didn't have to do that. I'm crippled but I could do stuff for myself." I mumbled looking ahead.

"I tried to tell her that. Just appreciate the things she does for you Kari. She's honestly trying to bond with you." He said looking over at me and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I have no problem with her Pops. Honestly, truly I love Cassie." I said as he looked at me like I was speaking Spanish.

"Usually kids would hate their step mother because they want their mother to have that spot. Why the sudden change even though I have no problem with it?" He questioned as I heard Christian in the backseat mumbling lyrics.

"She's nice, fun and pretty- pretty girls get along with each other ya dig?" I said as he shook his head and started laughing.

"I don't know why y'all getting along though cause nigga you hit." Christian mumbled and I waited until dad looked away to give him the middle finger.

"Right back at cha train tracks." He replied talking about my braces.

"Shut up and leave me alone."

Pops pulled up too Popeyes and got food for the house since he didn't want Ms. April to cook today. She works hard everyday so she deserves a break.

We pulled up to the house and I was shocked to see Justin's car in the driveway. All his absences made it seem like he didn't stay with us anymore. After dad settled me in the house he left the house to go get my prescriptions.

"I heard what happened Mendez. You straight?" Justin said coming downstairs with his hands in his sweats pockets.

"I'm good the real question is are you good?" I raised my eyebrows and he did the same.

"What do you mean?" He asked sitting next to me.

"Did you and pops get into an argument about something because your room is collecting dust. Chris is tryna turn that into a game room." I laughed as Justin shook his head.

"Nah we straight on each other. I just been handling business that's all. It's nothing y'all need to worry about trust me." He said leaning back on the couch.

"Dawg you say this every time I just wanna know what you're doing." I huffed out a breath.

"Most of the time I be with my niggas shooting ball or with Storm."