Chapter 36

Joe's POV till stated otherwise

“I...want...to...go...home...” Mia said in between breaths.

“Let's just get all the important stuff we need and leave the rest,” I agreed, taking her hand and pulling her into the bedroom.

She stopped just at the door and didn't go any further. Don't blame her. I let go of her hand and quickly got our most valuable items we needed: passports, house keys, that sort of thing. I put them in my bag I had brought with me before I walked into my walk-in wardrobe and got a pair of shoes on.

I saw a pair of Mia's shoes still lying in my suitcase and picked them up. I walked out the walk-in wardrobe and walked over to Mia, placing her shoes on the floor so she could put them on. I took her hand in mine before we started to walk down the stairs.

We got down about three steps before Mia stopped. I looked up at her and saw that she was looking out the window at the man that had tried to rape her in the bedroom.

“Come here,” I whispered, picking her up in my arms and carrying her down the rest of the stairs.

I carried her towards the back of the house and down to the jet.

When we reached the jet, I gave my bag to one of the security men that was standing by the stairs. I carried Mia up the stairs and into the jet before placing her down on one of the chairs. When I stepped away from her, she brought her legs up to her chest and looked out the window. I sat on the seat in front of her and looked at her.

“All set to go, Mr. Hart?” The assistant asked me.

“Yes,” I said, never taking my eyes off Mia.

The security guards that were standing outside the jet, came in and sat down. The one I gave my bag too, gave it back to me.

“Okay, I'll give them to him.” I heard the assistant say before closing the door over. She walked over to me. “Mr. Hart, a women has given me these. She said that they were found on the beach at the front of the house.”

“Thank you,” I said taking the bag from her and putting it on the floor.

I looked over at Mia and saw that she was starting to shake. I reached over for her and pulled her over to sit on the seat next to me. Once settled into the seat, she rested her head on my shoulder as I ran my hand through her hair to try and sooth her in some way.

Why would some people want to do that? Twice within the one day? Something’s not right here...

THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER - Barbados

Mia had been sitting next to me for the whole three and a half hours. We never changed our sitting postion once and nor was I even planning to.

The security team stood up and walked out to stand at the bottom of the stairs. Mia had fallen asleep now, so I carefully slipped my left arm under her legs and stood up. The assistant on the jet came over and picked up our bags. I walked past her with Mia in my arms and out the jet as she followed behind.

I walked down the stairs and over to the waiting car that was arranged for us. The driver opened the door and I carefully sat Mia in the car. I closed the door over and took my bag off the assistant before I walked round to the other side and got in the car. I put my bag on the floor and took Mia's hand in mine. The sooner we get the children, the better.

45 minutes later, we arrived at The Sandy Lane Hotel where my parents were staying with the children. I got out the car and walked round to get Mia out. When I got round to get her out, she was now awake. I held my hand out for her to take and she quickly put her hand in mine. I helped her out the car and we walked into the hotel.

I let go of her hand as we approached the reception area and I leaned against the counter. I felt Mia place her hands round my waist and rest her head on the side of my arm.

“How may we help you sir?” A women asked me.

“Erm, we have a reservation here under the name of Hart.” I told her.

“Let me just check...ah, yes but we aren't expecting you till next week.”

“Yeah, there was a change of plan. Would we be able to get that room the now?”

“You can but you'll have to pay...” She started.

“That's fine,” I said, reaching into my bag and taking out my wallet.

I took my bank card out and handed it over to her. A few minutes later, she gave me it back and I put it back in my wallet.

“Here you go, enjoy your stay.” She smiled, handing me the room key.

“Thank you,” I smiled weakly, taking the key and reaching for one of Mia's hands.

I took her hand and walked towards our room.

I opened the room door and let Mia go inside first. I followed her in and closed the door over. She stood looking at the bed when I approached her. I put my bag down next to the bed and turned to face her.

“You'll be okay. I pro...” I started.

“Don't say promise,” she whispered.

“Mia, tell me what happened.” I urged, takingboth of her hands in mine.

“I-I don't think I can,” she stuttered as her eyes began to tear up again.

“Come here.” I pulled her into my arms. She held the back of my top and I ran my hand up and down her back. “Talk to me when you feel like you can tell me."

“I will."