Chapter 45: Slipping Away

Start from the beginning

"And I ran away just after saying I loved him too. A week ago I had everything that I've ever wanted friendship that I know will last, my family closer than ever, and getting accepted to my dream school."

"And you know what's funny when everything I've ever wanted was happening right before my eyes, I want something more. But I don't even know what I want." I scoff at myself.

I look back at Alexander who was still standing up, listening to everything that's happened in my life the past year. I notice the dark circles in his eyes and bloodshot eyes once again. He was a train wreck. "Enough about me, what are you doing in a café in one in the morning?"

"Let me guess..." I cut him off as he thinks on what to say. I look closely at how he looked and then thought of the mystery girl at the ball.

"You also don't know what you want. It's one in the morning and here you are in a beautiful café, with messy hair and a smile that doesn't meet your eyes." I look at the café admiring it and then back at him.

"You have all the symptoms of being confused." I tell Alex.

"I guess we both have the symptoms of being confused." He says. It was refreshing to talk to Alex without him flirting most of the time. He was actually a great listener. He gestures to the chair across me asking me if he can take a seat. And I gesture at it too nodding.

He takes a seat and hangs his coat on the back of his chair. "I hate being confused." Alex says trying to lighten up the mood, like he usually does. I smile at him and agree.

"So how long have you known the girl?" I asked him curiously.

"Since we were kids, I teased her so much." Alex smiles at an old memory and he really did love the girl, but he didn't know it.

"Let me guess...you teased her because you didn't know how to speak to her...family friends?..." I say easily, since most of our lives were cliques and we didn't know it.

"She is really beautiful." I say to him and nods at me.

"More than beautiful, words can't define her beauty but I can say she is breathtaking." Alex says to me, I smile at him happy for the mystery girl to have such a man. He is falling deep.

"But she's with someone else...and you hate it..." I thought about how predictable our lives were and I think Alex was too. We were the same but different at the same time.

"She has a wonderful guy by her side...but your worried she'll pick him over you...so you're choosing to let her go along with your feelings." Alex looks out the window because of the harsh truth and smiles bitterly.

"I understand girls like her because...I'm that kind of girl too. Looking for something that's not there and later realizing it's been there the whole time." Alex turns his head to listen to what I had to say.

"We want to lose the things we have. For what?" I stop to look at him and I state. His eyes soften at my words, a few tears well up in his eyes.

We sit like this pondering on this and Alex looks up to control his emotions then looks back at the window. He looks back at me and I sit there empty of any emotions not knowing what I was going to do next. What will I do? I don't know what I want now, when I have everything I've ever wished for.