15: Snakes & Ladders

Start from the beginning

"Dixie, I'm unsure of how to say this to you but- well, two months ago, you handed in an assignment that was... well below your standards of writing. I let it slide, understanding the first semester is stressful for everyone, and flukes like these happen. But it seemed to continue," he frowned. "Consistently. I've been reading work and assignments from you that I had to double-check were even by you. I brought it up to Mr. Don, as well your history teacher and they're telling me they're experiencing the same situation with you."

A sudden nauseating feeling pierced through my stomach and I gripped the edge of Mr. Labadee's desk quickly to stop my dizzy self from falling.

"It's only to your benefit for us to ask you if everything's been okay. A family death, worries back home, anything of that sort and we can understand and excuse your recent standards of assessments," he continued. "But if there's nothing like that and you've been slacking... you should really catch up, Dixie. Put yourself back in your work, you used to give so much more of your attention, if not all, to every one of your classes."

"I'm sorry, sir," I looked down sheepishly. "Thank you for your concern. I'm sorry for being so distracted lately."

"It happens. But you need to bring yourself back to those standards," he gave an empathetic nod. "If you need any help catching up, you can come to any of your teachers. We're happy to help."

"Thank you," I quickly nodded.

"You're welcome," he said. "You can leave now."

I didn't wait any second longer before rushing out of the room with all my books in my arm, processing the conversation that had just taken place. Outside the classroom, Caius stood scrolling through his phone.

"Hey," I called out as soon as he noticed me. "Thanks for waiting. You didn't have to."

"What was that?" he asked, turning off his phone. "Another request to showcase one of your excellent essays?"

"Actually no," I said slowly. "I think my grades have dropped... significantly."

"What?" he exclaimed loudly before instantly masking his shock as he saw my upset frown. "Oh."

"I don't know what to do," I sighed, trying to stay calm instead of tugging at my hair in stress. "He said all my teachers have brought it up with each other. They're concerned that something's been happening with me and-"

"Well, has something been happening with you?" he asked. "Ales?"

"It's not that. Or not that much anymore," I said. "I think it might be the whole Armin and Eduardo situation..." I told him uncomfortably, before trailing off into my own thought.

He tensed instantly, giving me a stern glare. "I wish you wouldn't get so involved with them, Dixie. Especially Armin."

"I know. I'm sorry," I said awkwardly. "I didn't think I wasn't able to balance school work and life outside of classes. I thought I could draw the line; they make it seem so easy in TV shows and those books-"

"Nothing. I mean, it's not my place but I worry about what happens between the two of them. I worry about Armin, even though I don't need to and... maybe I prioritized what happens with him over my own work," I exhaled disappointedly. "Even to the point that I don't notice what's going on with my own brother."

Caius didn't say anything back and looked down awkwardly, while nodding his head. There was clear discomfort in hearing about Armin for him – I didn't blame him. He was neither Armin's nor Eduardo's biggest fan.

I laughed clumsily to fill our silence . "Sorry. This is probably awkward to talk about to you, I know how much you dislike the both of them and it probably makes you uncomfortable-"