The Dead I Give Life To (Chapter 12)

“AVA, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU BABY, PLEASE!” Kain begged, shouting in pain. He tried to grab onto me again, but I forced my way out.

“NO! IF YOU LOVED ME YOU WOULDN’T KISS MY BEST FRIEND!” I sobbed, hitting and punching him, hating him and loving him all at the same time.

I couldn’t believe he’d do that, he loved me. I loved him, and he loved me, yet he went and kissed my best friend. It wasn’t even a brief kiss, or a forced kiss. It was a wanted kiss, they’d both wanted it. I’d been watching them both at it for at least 10 minutes before I said something.

Screamed something might be more appropriate.

How had we come to this?

We’d been perfect. So happy, not a problem; sure we had fights, but nothing serious. I don’t understand why he’d do this to me, I thought he loved me. Evidently, he didn’t love me as much as I thought he did.

“Ava! Please, you know I love you please, baby, I’m sorry forgive me!” Kain begged his voice cracking. The dark night outside was illuminated with street lamps, and I saw Kain’s face, hurt written all over it. I might have forgiven him.

But his lips were covered in the very same red lipsticks I’d convinced my best friend to wear earlier that evening.

And he was covered in it. All over his face, neck, collar; stupid red lipstick that Kain hadn’t liked on me, but apparently he loved it on her! Maybe he loved her, and not me.

Maybe he doesn’t love me anymore.

Maybe he’d never loved me at all.

“Ava, sweetie, that boys at the door for you again, he says it’s urgent”

I lifted my head from the pillow to look at my mother, who was in turn looking at me with concern from the doorframe she was leaning on. She tilted her head at me, waiting for my response. I sat up in bed, moving my unwashed, unstraightened hair out of my face. I was a mess.

“I don’t want to see him, tell him to go away” I muttered, burying my head back in the pillow. My mum walked over to me and sat down on the bed, and began stroking my back.

“You need to cheer up Ava; it’s your birthday tomorrow! But sweetheart, you’re going to have to talk to him at some point.” At this I sat up again, flipping my hair. I looked at my mother and shook my head fiercely, annoyed at what she had just said.

“I don’t want to talk to him! I never want to see him again!” I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air for effect. “Now, please” I lowered my voice to a hiss “Get rid of him!”

“Ava, it was one mistake, don’t you think-?”

“No, I don’t! He’s the reason I moved schools!” I shouted, outraged. My Mom is supposed to be on my side, yet she’s telling me to talk to the guy that broke my heart?!

My Mom glared at me, raising an eyebrow. She crossed her legs, right over left as always, and looked at me with a look of heavy disappointment. “No Ava, you were kicked out of school because you spray painted the words, in bright orange, on the side of the NEW science block: ‘Kain is a lying, cheating, scumbag who needs to shove his head up his own-!” My Mom stopped when she saw the pout on my face. “Need I go on?”

“No” I replied, scowling. Mom stood up from my bed, straightening out her skirt. She walked towards the door.

“Fine, I’ll go get rid of him. But you have to talk to him first” Mom announced, and suddenly a wave of anger washed over me.

“You know what?” I jumped up from my bed, and marched downstairs “I will talk to him!” I didn’t bother fixing my hair, or my clothes. The moment I reached the door, I swung it open, missiles ready to launch, all set to give my ex a piece of my mind.