"Stay out of trouble, sweetheart," he teased lightly, pulling me into his arms.

I gave a quite chuckle and wrapped my arms around his back tightly, revelling in the last bit of comfort our friendship offered us before it would be gone, maybe for forever. I felt him press a kiss to the top of my head, and I closed my eyes against his chest, trying the push the stinging sensation of tears away.

Don't cry, I kept thinking. You can cry later, but not right now.

"I'll miss you, Katie," he whispered, giving me another squeeze.

"I'll miss you too, Haz," I replied, my sadness tugging at my voice. His fingers trailed once more over the length of my spine as his grip on me loosened slightly, and I pulled away.

I took a deep, shaky breath as I prepared myself for my last goodbye.

Finally it was Niall standing in front of me, and I almost lost control of my emotions the moment his eyes found mine. I felt my lip tremble violently before I bit down on it, hard enough to almost draw blood.

"Katie..." he trailed in a sigh, his frown set deep into his face and I knew then that he felt the same way that I did.

Defeated.

This was officially the last time I'd get to be with the person I loved for a long while, and it was heartbreaking.

I didn't trust my voice enough not to shake, so I didn't say anything. Instead, I just allowed his arms to encircle me, trying so hard to savour the warmth he always provided during those last few moments we had together.

"I'm sorry," he murmured against my hair, and I couldn't stop the tear from escaping the corner of my eye. I kept my face pressed against his chest, hiding it from view. "I'm sorry everything had to happen like this. I wish it didn't."

"I love you," I whimpered, not wanting to say anything else as I held him tight. This was not how we were supposed to end. Not like this, being forced apart by a management company that had no business in our relationship in the first place.

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

"And you know how much I love you," he whispered against my cheek, his fingers caressing my hair softly. I nodded, my chest feeling like it might explode with all the pent up emotion I kept locked away.

Niall pressed his lips against my temple  in a firm kiss.

"It'll be okay," he assured quietly, his lips still pressed to my skin. His voice was adamant and steady, and I found comfort in he fact that he spoke so surely of himself. "I promise. This isn't the end for us."

A few more tears slipped past my eyelids before I wiped them away quickly, glancing up into his bright blue eyes.

"I'll miss you," I said, my voice wavering dangerously. Niall brought his hands up to my cheeks, leaning his forehead against mine. I closed my eyes, trying my absolute hardest to keep my composure. "But don't wait for me. Go live your life."

I felt his lips fall upon mine, and I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly, not wanting to ever let go.

This is it.