7. Go for a walk in the rain again

8. Fold 1000 paper cranes

9. Spend my entire savings in one day

10. Conquer cancer

As I looked over the list, a thought burbled in my mind. Christmas was just a week away, and I still hadn't gotten anyone presents yet. Why not take this opportunity to splurge on gifts for everyone, plus conquer part of #9? After all, it was expected that as always, Aunt Jodi would present me with some extravagant gift – for my 13th birthday, she got me a jewelry set of diamond encrusted earrings, a necklace and bracelet. Getting Aunt Jodi say, a new Louis Vuitton wallet, that would be nothing.

So I made my plans. I texted Liam to ask if he was free to go to the boardwalk tomorrow. He texted back within five minutes saying yes he was, he'd pick me up at around 2pm and we'd go there together. I didn't invite Nico, and Liam didn't inquire about him, so we let it be.

Next, I made a list.

Christmas Shopping

1. Aunt Jodi – white Louis Vuitton wallet with bubblegum pink interior – $1000

2. Mike – Rolex watch – $4000

3. Nico – Leather bracelet with engraving thingy - $60

4. Liam – Rolex watch with engraving – $4000

"Dinner!" Aunt Jodi called from downstairs. I would have to sort out my Christmas dilemma later.

***

After dinner, I found myself in my room madly folding paper cranes on my bed.

I was decently surrounded by paper cranes when a knock came on the door.

"Come in," I told the person behind the door.

"I come bearing gifts," Nico said, pushing the door open with his hip. In his hands he held two green, ceramic bowls of what looked to be ice cream.

"I love you forever," I said, reaching for a bowl. He handed one to me.

"You're the only girl I've met who loves food so much, and isn't embarrassed to eat it in front of guys. I'd say you're a pig, but I kind of like it," Nico said, shaking his head.

I smiled, a huge mouthful of ice cream preventing me from smiling with my teeth. Instead, I just kept my lips closed and gave him the smirkiest smile I could manage.

"Watcha doin?" Nico asked, seeing all the paper birds around me. He managed to move some out of the way to sit down on the bed.

"Making cranes," I said.

"Sorry, maybe I should have asked why," he laughed.

"There's a Japanese saying that if you fold 1000 paper cranes you get a wish," I told him.

"I see. And what would you, Miss Ella, wish for?"

"To beat cancer," I said nonchalantly.

"Seems like a worthy cause," Nico said. He set down his ice cream and picked up a piece of paper. "Teach me."

I showed Nico how to fold a crane with the few simple steps it required. He picked it up pretty quickly, and soon enough we were popping out cranes like there was no tomorrow.