Chapter Eighteen: Are the Anesthetics Still Affecting Him?

    Nurses pull Asher out of my arms the moment we enter the emergency room. They drag him off, and out of my sight. The speed at which they drag him away confuses me, but what confuses me most is the feeling that claws at my heart like a cat scratching a cat post. Worry perfectly evident in my activity, I pace in front of Alexi. Who sits in one of the many chairs in the dull waiting room.

    "Hey girly! Sit down already! Its a waiting room we're all anxious!" a rough voice snaps at me.

    My anger flares like a fire after gasoline had been poured over it. I find the overweight man, squeezed into a tan waiting chair, and throw daggers at him. I glare at his full head of hair, the coffee in his hands, and his eyes peeking over the top of his chrome colored phone. My venomous death glare makes the graying man immediately hides behind his phone. He immerses himself in the screen. Tiny printed words reflect off the square glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. That's better. Satisfied with the now quiet room, I continue my pacing. Step... What if he broke something? Step... What if he has a concussion? Step... What if he has to stay here overnight? Step... What if they call his dad? Step... What if his dad shows up again? Turn... What if he's to injured to continue the mission? Step...  What if his concussion is so bad

    "Layla if you take one more step I'm going to force you to sit in this chair, and then sit on you until you finally relax!"

    Alexi's threat pulls me from my mental rant. Oh! I didn't even think about Alexi. How could I be so inconsiderate? Alexi was left to face Baby Face all by himself. I turn to him and examine him head to toe. His clothes are wrinkled and tattered from sleep and our run to the cave, but overall he looks unscathed. How did he manage that one?

    "I'm sorry, Alexi," I collapse into the empty seat beside him, and place my backpack at my feet.

    "It's okay," he smiles at me, "I'm worried too."

    Sitting back, I rest my head on Alexi's bony, yet still comfortable, shoulder, "Do you think he'll be okay?"

    "I think he will be," he answers wrapping a comforting arm around me.

    "So, away from Asher, why have you been so on edge since we got here?" I ask casually.

    His arm stiffens around me, but relaxes just as quickly. Darkness clouds his face like when the clouds block out the sunlight casting a shadow on the ground during a cloudy day. Despite his obvious struggle to suppress his emotions, unshed tears form in his eyes. He stifles a breath and lowers his head.

    "I lost my best friend in a hospital like this one only a couple years ago."

    How awful...

    I take one of his hands between mine and give it a reassuring squeeze, "You don't have to tell me. I can tell just by the look on your face that they really meant a lot to you and that you're still grieving."

    "Thanks Layla. Really, thank you. That means so much to me," he smiles weakly at me and squeezes my shoulders.

    Man, compared to Asher and Alexi I've lived a privileged, sheltered life so far. I wonder how Alexi remains so carefree while Asher is burdened at the age of fifteen.

    "Layla Roth and Alexi Pill?" flying out of my seat, I stand before a prim and proper looking nurse.

    "Is he okay? Can we see him? Is he okay?" I bombard her.

    "He's fine, and yes you can see him. He just had to get a few stitches and an x-ray," she answers with a smile.

    "Can you take us to him?" Alexi places a hand on my shoulder.