Chapter Ten: Coincidence or Destiny

        Floating devices extend across the greenish waters in mass for as far as my eyes can see. Bubbly excitement fills my whole being. I race towards the stone wall shore and leave the complaining boys in my dust. When the alluring smell of one of the boys colognes becomes just a mere memory, my nose is finally able to pick out the distinct redolence of the shore. I press my hands down against the rough stone wall and peer down at my fragmented reflection only a few feet below. Warm air from the water brushes through the untameable portions of my maine. The gentle breeze feels just like it does at home. Letting the wind and soft fall sun rays lull me into a feeling of safety, I revel in their kindness. This is amazing! My entire life has been spent by the water. Oh how the nostalgia hits me like the waves hit the shore. 

            Ripples from a man's feet kicking at the water cause it to softly lap against the parallel shore and the small yellow raft filled with small giggling children. Brilliant rays of light from the rising sun dance across the expanse of the river carved plain. A single line of rope acts as the children's tether to safety and protection from the dangers farther downstream. The contents of the raft completely oblivious to the constant flow of the river beneath them and the ever watchful gaze of a loving father.

         Home...

         "Layla, what does the map say?"

        "What?" I gaze up into Asher's mesmerizing eyes and just about get lost there, "Oh!"

          Rudely shocked out of my day dream, I pull out, open, check, and shove the unfurled map in his face. Now, instead of a green dot directly over us where I would think it would be, another green dot appears up the coast line. Having learned what he came for, he strides off back to Alexi with a scowl forever indented into his face, and in exchange leaves me feeling completely homesick by myself to chat with a strange indistinguishable being.

         I sigh before climbing on top of the short stone wall. Carefully, I balance my way over to my companions to curb my boredom. As I move closer I'm able to make out the once blurry figure. A woman stands talking to my companions like it's not the rarest sight to find a couple of teenagers traveling a long distance without an attendant. The woman's hair stretches far below her waist in ragged, unbrushed knots, and her clothes are just as poorly maintained. Although I can't be one to judge. She wears no shoes so that leads my eyes to fall on the most confusing accessory she wears. A beautiful shell amulet encompasses her neck in it's tarnished silver chain. Confusion clouds my mind.

         Alexi, finally noticing my presence, spots me. I see his eyes instantly fill full of panic at the sight of me. Being the worry wart he is, he runs to me and wraps his arms around my waist before pulling me off my feet. Placing my hands on his shoulders and plop to my feet. He holds me out at arms length and looks me over head to toe for any injuries all while I just giggle at his cute brotherly protectiveness and admire the fact that he is only just a dozen inches taller than me.

         "Alexi, I'm fine," I smile up at him.

         I can't help but laugh when he takes my head in his soft hands to search for some sort of head trauma.

         "Alright, Alright! I'm fine. Knock it off." I swat his hands away gently.

          I smile up at him and grab his hand to pull him back to a gloomy Asher and a creepy woman, Asher stands stiff as a board with his arms folded over his chest. I take my position beside him, let go of Alexi's hand, and poke Asher's side. Whatever reaction I was expecting didn't come because his face remains stoic. I give off a frustrated huff. One second he's all happy and the next he's gloomy. What, is he having mood swings?