❝ if my life is mine what shouldn't i do ❞

Start from the beginning

Skylar's grin widened. "I still remember how he threw a fit and almost had a panic attack the morning after when he realized I was underage."

"Well, no shit, it was illegal!" Sixteen and twenty-one. Yeah, if I had done that and Kaden had found out, the guy would most likely be behind bars by now.

She shrugged. "It's not like it would've mattered in a couple years."

"How'd he get the job at your dad's school, then?" Did Skylar's parents know about her and Cameron? And they were okay with it?

"Mom and Dad don't know," she said quickly, as if she has read my mind. She paused. "Though, I think Mom might suspect something. I told them I met Daniel and that I was doing Cam a favor." She glanced at the door, then lowered her voice slightly.

"He needed it, you know? His parents died when he was nineteen and they left him and Daniel with enough money for college, but not much else," she told me.

"How many people know... About you guys?" It was a secret for sure; I hadn't heard anything about it before I met the Elite. They never interacted at school, though Cameron had always seemed a little more comfortable with the Elite than the other teachers.

"Daniel. Ash. Nate. Jace. Keira. Vanessa. And now you," she said. "You tell anyone and I'll ruin you, though."

Weren't they going to already if I didn't make Ashton fall in love with me?

"I won't. You guys should brush up on your acting skills though," I told her. Their pretending bad been kind of awful, even if Skylar had been unconscious for most of it. Daniel had been way too unconcerned for the boyfriend and Cameron had been way too concerned for the brother.

She shrugged. "It's not like we've ever needed to pretend. Cam said Ashton brought you to the hospital. We hadn't expected it."

Yeah, I hadn't either. He only brought me because Nathan told him to and Nathan only told him to because there was a note addressed to me.

"Does he know what happened?" Cameron had seemed concerned, but not angry or vengeful. Maybe it wasn't in his personality; I had never seen him angry, even when people in class were being annoying. But even so, if someone had tried to kill your girlfriend I don't think it would be taken so calmly.

"No," Skylar said, her voice sharp. "And you won't tell him. He has enough to worry about."

I raised my hands in surrender. "I think he deserves to know, but alright, it's none of my business." I waited a couple moments for her to calm down before continuing. "I actually wanted to ask you about that. What happened?"

She sighed, tugging at one of the wires on the machines beside her. "I have no idea."

"Aren't there any cameras at school?"

"Not in that stairwell. I meet Cameron there when he has a prep period or lunch break, so I looped it." She grimaced. "Dad was furious when he found out."

"How many people know?"

She gave me a curious look, maybe wondering why I was asking so many questions, but answered anyway. "Cam, obviously. Maybe some of my friends. I don't remember if I mentioned it."

It was looking more and more likely that someone in the Elite had been the one to try and hurt Skylar. And it had to be related to Ashton's murder case. I doubt two members of the Elite had homicidal tendencies all of a sudden.

"And in the hospital?"

"Bastard got me while I was sleeping. And I'm not stupid enough to believe it as an accident."