❝ if my life is mine what shouldn't i do ❞

Start from the beginning

I gave a small wave. "Hey."

"What are you doing here?" she asked as Mr. Sullivan handed her a cup of coffee.

"Careful, it's hot," he told her.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I know."

I raised an eyebrow, glancing between the two of them. Skylar caught my look and leaned back. "I need to talk to Elena," she said. "Alone."

"No. I- Daniel," he corrected quickly. "-doesn't want me to let you out of my sight." What, did he think I was gonna hurt her or something? If he really believed that, why had he even let me into her room in the first place?

"Can you pick up some food for me? The hospital stuff is gross," she said.

He hesitated, but still shook his head.

"Please?" She pouted, and I watched in a slight, shocked awe as our English teacher turned to complete putty in her hands.

"Fine," he said with a sigh.

I was almost certain that if I hadn't been in the room, they would've kissed. Though, if I hadn't been here he probably wouldn't be leaving anyway. He gave me a cautious look -what did he think I was going to do, really? - and walked out.

"So you're dating our English teacher," I said slowly once he was gone.

Skylar glanced at me for a brief second, then looked away. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah. I wouldn't on Daniel with his brother," she said, giving me an offended look.

"Okay," I drawer out slowly. "So why is Mr. Sullivan here all the time, but not Daniel?"

"You can call him Cameron, you know?" she told me. "Daniel's just... Busy."

I raised an eyebrow. "Too busy to visit his girlfriend who's in the hospital?"

She winced slightly as she caught on to the problems in her lie, but quickly covered it up. Quick enough that if I hadn't specifically been watching for her reaction, I wouldn't have seen. She nodded.

"How long are we gonna keep this up for?" I asked.

She blinked at me. "Keep what up?" A false look of confusion.

"Come on Skylar, I'm not dumb," I told her.

"I never said you were," she replied.

I sighed. "It's not like it's even that bad." A little strange, I guess. But not horrible. Mr. Sullivan- Cameron- didn't look much older than us and it was Skylar's last year. "He's what? Twenty-five? And in a couple months he won't be your teacher anymore."

She stared at me. "That's the most positive response I've ever gotten," she said, finally dropping the act.

I shrugged.

"He's twenty-three, by the way," she added a moment later.

I blinked. Most of the teachers at Blaire Academy were thirty, or older. They were experienced at teaching; it was what something Blaire Academy was known for. Not that all the students listened to them, but they were still supposedly some of the best in the country.

Not that Cameron -Mr. Sullivan? I wasn't sure what to call him anymore- was a bad teacher. He was just pretty young. He had started last year, which meant he must've been straight out of college when Mr. Blaire hired him.

"Did you meet him before he was a teacher?" I asked.

She nodded, smiling a little. "We met two years ago. I snuck into one of his dorm's parties and we hooked up." It was weird picturing Cameron in college, at a party, even though he was only five or so years older than us. I knew all teachers probably had a life, but I couldn't picture them outside the classroom.