Chapter 19: Alex's Return

John's POV

When Alex got back from his date, I had been left alone by Laf and Hercules when they went to hang out in the quad. Personally, I didn't feel like going out that night. When Alex got back around 8, I was still laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling. "Hey John," he greeted me cheerfully as he closed the door quietly.

"Hey Alex," I replied, allowing my eyes to dart over to him for a second.

I wasn't sure why everything seemed so bleak; ever since Alex had told me he was going out with Eliza I had felt so... despondent. And ever since we had talked about my, well, past experiences, I felt like we were getting close enough to... to... I didn't know. Whatever I might have wanted to happen - between us or other wise- it was too late; he was with Eliza, and he seemed happy.

Alex picked up his book bag from the chair on the desk near the wall and unzipped it. After pulling out a rather large compilation of books and papers, he splayed them over the desk.

"How was your date?" I decided to ask, in spite of myself.

"It was fun," he replied immediately.

"What did you guys do?"

"We just... talked."

"About what?"

"Why are you being so nosy?" He snapped.

"Sorry," I said quietly, "I'm just curious. It's been a while since I've been on a date myself."

I was relieved to hear Alex chuckle at that, and then he sighed. "We talked about her," he continued, "Then we talked about me. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, but for now there won't be a second date."

At this I craned my neck out a little bit to get a better view of him and his expression. "And why's that?" I asked, trying to hide my positive change of demeanor but failing; hopefully he didn't notice, but at my question he stopped his typing for a second, quickly resuming afterwards.

"Because of what we were talking about, I suppose," he responded vaguely.

"What were-"

"John, I really would prefer not to discuss it."

I nodded.

"Thanks."

Well, I thought, If I can't grill him about his date...

"How about..." he interrupted my thought, "We work on our argument for the club on Monday, yeah?"

I hopped off my bed and made my over to stand beside him. "We have almost three days to finish it, Alex."

"Then I'll do it myself," he said simply.

"No! I'll help!"

(Sorry guys this chapter is short af but I didn't want to start the debate this chapter because it would have taken foreeeeeveer so I just threw this in there
- Daryn 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸