Chapter 15: The Truth

Hamilton's POV
It was clear that there was more to Thomas than what I noticed when I first met him. He acted curiously when I had stood up to him about insulting these boys; he wasn't about to back down on his point, but it sounded like he wanted to. So why did he argue so avidly with me? Aaron and James hadn't been egging him on, let alone pressuring him.

"Freshman year," John began, zoning his gaze down the hallway, "Thomas was my-- friend. When he came out as gay he only told his best friend- James Madison, and me."

I choked vociferously. "Th-Thomas was gay?" I managed to get out between several shuddering gasps.

"You say that like something's changed," John said bitterly, and shot me a sideways glance that read let. me. finish. So I did.

"L-later that year," He continued, but then paused and buried his face in his own hands again, "You can't tell anyone about this, okay, Alexander?"

"You forget, I have no friends, John."

He sighed, and I leaned in closer. "Later that year he was diagnosed with adolescent bipolar depression. He was only 15. He didn't even tell Madison; the guy might still be in the dark. Anyway, one of the last times I spoke to him was when he told me he was on medication. That was when I-"

He stopped dead, and sniffed. I turned to try and look him in the eye but he had put his head down again. "Sophomore year," he continued, voice cracking once, "he came back after the summer, and he was... he was a different person. He was one of the few at the time who knew I was gay; he outed me before I was ready, Alex, he told everyone! And then he started attacking me because of of it."

I began to think I shouldn't have made him talk about this: he obviously didn't exactly want to reminisce. "How do you know all this?" I asked carefully.

Silence.

"He was my boyfriend."

There was more silence. I couldn't seem to find the words to say next. John was quiet, and I couldn't see his expression, but he continued to sniff periodically. "So why did he change?" I decided to ask, breaking the loud silence.

John sniffed again and waited a second before replying. "Most of his old classmates think his dad sent him to a reform center or something; I never believed that."

"Why not?"

"He never would have had the courage to tell his father the truth, and he was facing enough as it was, with his condition and all; and I know the truth."

I had looked out the window to think about his words, but then turned around to listen more intently.

"The truth?"

(A/N AHH this chapters so short and sucky (sorry guys I can't write angst) but as usual ya boi Daryn has the next chapter written (it's 200 words longer, still short but aye) and it'll be out tomorrow. Thanks for reading, I love you all, and plz comment so I know I'm not writing trash!
- Daryn 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸