Chapter 3: Probable Puppeteers

Start from the beginning

Yet even with all this information uncovered to him, Two Face only skims through the file as his lackeys babble on, casting the couple images of the so called 'Evangeline Mendax Winter' some appreciative glances.

Bitch has got a nice ass, but she ain't worth the time at the moment, Harv internally comments to his other half residing in their joined mind, eyes devouring her image and the information for a few moments longer.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm going to have to agree with you. Between Maroni's uncharacteristic provocations and Markovic and O'Reilly breathing down our neck for our help, a private investigator that isn't even a part of the GCPD is the least of our worries, Harvey Dent reluctantly acquiesces with his criminal half, mind a buzz with all the commotion kicked up by the crime families at the current moment. Still, we should have a guy check on her every once in a while. If she miraculously discovers anything before the rest of us, she may be of use.

She's just some pretty broad who's tryin' to make a name for herself Harvey. She ain't a risk. She's barely a pebble in my fucking shoe. If she was workin' alongside Gordon or the Bat, that would be different, Harv scowls at the previous DA, the both of them unaware of the uncomfortable silence that consumed the room the moment the trio of henchmen realized their boss was bickering with himself again.

Harvey is still indecisive. Look, we have more than enough men. It's not going to severely harm our numbers or ranks if we spare one guy to occasionally check in on her. Like I said before, she may hit a stroke of luck and find something that may prove to be of use. After all, we can't just ignore her entire existence. She's poking around our territory. Harvey knew as soon as he broached Evangeline prodding at their turf that Harv would go all territorial on him like a damn dog. Sharing a brain with the guy can sometimes turn out to be advantageous.

Harv menacingly growls. There has to be over a hundred cafes in this fucking city, and she manages to find our one? Fine. I'll have Louie or Mack look the bitch up in a week or so, but I'll have to check with O'Reilly and Markovic to see if they actually hired her themselves before we go about stalking the broad, Harv eventually concludes, addressing Harvey's light concern.

By the time the 'super criminal' asserts his focus back on his men, the abrupt movement of his head snapping up to meet their uncomfortable stares is enough to startle them back a couple inches. "We'll organise something later. For now though, I need a status update on the casino I invested in down on 3rd. And don't fucking disappoint me."

***

Within the passing four days succeeding the café investigation and her elder brother's sudden phone call, Evangeline Winter has been deeply engrossed within Gotham's infamous Rogue's Gallery. Commissioner Gordon has tried reasoning with the North Carolinian that being entangled within a mob war is one of the very last things a Gotham Rogue would set out to accomplish, yet after Rob's subtle drop of his opinion, Eve is almost certain that a rogue plays a part in this undertaking. Whether it is a half-rogue, half-mob man like Two Face or Black Mask, or an all-out notorious mastermind such as Scarecrow or Joker, she doesn't yet know.

Eve vehemently deliberates over the public files of each so called 'super criminal' that are strewn out in front of her. Nothing particularly noteworthy has been spotted over her cameras yet, only a few suspicious discussions from Falcone men. So far Falcone has been distrustfully quiet amongst all the vigorous uproar from the other families. As if he's more knowledgeable than he's letting on.

The entire investigation is becoming an entanglement of various theories and judgements. Just as Eve is becoming confident in an established theory of hers, a piece of evidence precipitously swerves around a sharp corner and knocks it from its pedestal. The only firm conclusion Eve has come to is that there is a player outside of these families that has intervened and had a hand in this calamity of feud. Question is, who?