A fate you decide

Three Months After New Years

He sighed as he looked at the many papers in his paws.

Bills, bills, bills, and more bills.

But how was he going to pay them?

He had already used his last check to get a house suitable for their soon to be family of five. And chief Bogo didn't pay on pregnancy leave. Meaning, no money.

The fox cursed under his breath and groaned. I have no choice..He thought, standing up from sitting on the ground. He went into a bedroom, since the house consisted of only three. The bedroom he went into seemed to be the nursery. Basically the babies room. It was a light teal color and had some letters and shape stickers on the walls. A small window with thin golden see through, curtains draping to each side, was letting in a crisp beam of yellow sunlight across the soft black carpeted floor.

It was set up simply. Two blue cribs with space ships on it, one pink crib with some carrots on it.
In one corner were three baby swings, all orange. Then other baby stuff like feeders, strollers, and play mats.
    Then, there was Judy. Sitting in a chair and folding small blankets.

"Hey carrots.." He said in more of a questioning tone while he leaned on the door frame.

"Hm?" She answered, not looking up. "What is it, Nick?"

"I...it's about work." He somewhat muttered as Judy's ear perked up.

"What about..work?" She asked, setting the blankets aside.

He sighed and approached her slowly, "I-I want to go back." He muster the courage to say.

Judy's heart dropped, "You..want to go back to the ZPD. Why?"

"We have bills to pay. Buffalo butt isn't gonna pay us to slack off work." Nick stated, kneeling in front of her so he was at her eye's length.
"But..Nick I'm eight months pregnant. You choose now to leave?"

"I'm sorry. But either that or I go back to hustling with Finnick."

Judy looked at her fìancè with worried eyes, "But..What if you're not there when the kids are born?"
"I will be there. And if not, I'd probably be dead trying to get to them." He said and they both laughed lightly.

"When do you plan on going back?"

"Tomorrow." He simply said.

"Tomorrow!? Nick that'll be when I go see doctor Richmoore for a check up." Judy whined.

"So?"

"So, I don't wanna go alone."

"Take your sister. Or mom." Nick said as though it was easier said than done.

She groaned, "I want to go with you."

"We've been to all the other appointments together, can't we just change it up a bit?"

She looked down at her paws, "This'll be the last one before I go into labor which could last for hours." She let out a sad sigh, "I just want to hold your hand at this last appointment." Judy muttered.

Nick rolled his eyes but was careful not to let her see. "Fine. I'll go with you to the appointment but after that, I'll be at work."

"Yay!" She squealed, hugging him. Nick chuckled and hugged her back, careful about her stomach.

                      XXXX

A week after the appointment, Nick was back at work. Everyone missed him but most importantly they wanted to see and talk to Judy.
  He had a good time showing his engagement ring to all the 'single mammals' just to tease them. Though things seemed cool at work, it wasn't the same at home.