F O U R T E E N

Athena's POV

For weeks I've avoided Jacob and for weeks I've been thinking about what Bryce told me. I could tell that Jacob knew something was up but I couldn't exactly tell him what it was.

Weeks turned to months and October was almost over. I didn't know what was supposed to be done.

Break up with Jacob. That's what I have to do. Call off... Whatever this is. It might not be ideal but for the moment, it's the right thing to do. I couldn't let myself get sucked into this madness or get pulled deeper into it. If it's a nerd I have to be, then a nerd I will be.

I made my way downstairs to look for my mother because if there's one thing that I remember it's step one, stop sneaking out.

"Hey mom! Is it okay if I go out for a walk, I just need to take a break for a while." I said.

"Of course sweetheart. Are you feeling alright?" My mother asked as she felt my forehead to check if I had a fever.

"Not really but I will be once I clear my head." I replied. Step two, stop lying.

"Okay but be back by dinner time." She said and I nodded.

As I stepped out the door I felt the rush of cold air hit me, winter was nearing and this town would probably be where the snow first hits. That also meant many family members would be coming back to town, wanted and unwanted.

How was I going to break up with Jacob? I mean obviously I'd tell him that we have to end whatever we have but, how am I supposed to say it. I've never done this kind of thing.

I found myself staring at the park where my brain started to get confused about what was happening just because of Jacob.

The park was peaceful to look at. Children were playing and so were dogs. Mothers laughed and talked while some of the fathers stood and watched. Teenagers sat on the grass on dates and whatnot but something disrupted this peaceful world. Something was out of place.

It was Ysa, sitting on one of the swing sets, by herself. Her head was down and if it weren't for the dyed blonde hair or the ear piercings, I'd think we were back to being 12-years-old. A time when Ysa and I were friends, really close friends in fact.

I never actually figured out what happened to her. Why she turned into someone like that or why we never spoke again. I never thought to ask.

"You know I can tell you're standing right there, right?" Her voice came out soft as she lifted her head to take a look at me.

"Out of all the people it could have been, it had to be you." She said in an annoyed tone.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I can leave if you-" I said stuttering but she cut me off.

"Don't bother." She said sitting up a little. "Take a seat Athena. Relax for a bit." She instructed.

I did what she told me to do and took a seat on the other swing. We both just sat there in silence for a while looking at the children playing.

"Remember when we used to be like that?" She asked out of nowhere.

"What?" I asked her, not sure what she meant by her question. She laughed a little at my confusion before replying.

"When we used to sleep in each other's houses well when your brother wasn't there of course. Remember when I'd always ask you about your brother since I've never actually seen him with you and then suddenly he wasn't there anymore." She chuckled to herself. "Remember when we used to just laugh at anything and tell stories and whatever."