38. Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object

Sorry for no update for a while! I'm not dead, just working on some other fics at the same time as this one haha
(and procrastination is killer man) so sorry for any mistakes I make in this chapter bc I'm too lazy/tired to go back and reread it

Ok but if you haven't heard of Ricky Montgomery, go listen to his album, it's so good I just

Song: Painting Greys- Emmit Fenn

Please comment a ton, it makes me feel all warm n fuzzy inside

The day had finally come.

Kageyama's parents arrived at exactly 12 pm: hotel booked and scolding prepared.

The first thing they yelled at him for was his messy room— they didn't care that Oikawa was there to witness it, although they did have the decency to say hello first— and then got on his case about keeping up with his classes. They had yet to find out about the whole "cheating incident" (which Kageyama was still bitter about) but he figured what they didn't know didn't hurt them.

"What about Touka and Percy? Are they still coming down?" Tobio asked once they finished, referring to his older siblings. They'd planned on visiting their brother as well.

His mom, Mrs. Aoi Kageyama, was a tall Japanese woman with a silky black bob cut and jabby appendages. "Touka was held up at work and can't come, but Percy is just running late. Like usual. He'll be here tonight at around four thirty."

His dad, Mr. Shiro Kageyama, aka respected lawyer and oblivious father: "I wish he was more punctual; guess he got that from his granddad."

Tobio resisted the urge to sigh. His parents had been here for twenty minutes, yet they had already criticized two of their children, and one of them wasn't even here.

"Is there anything that you guys wanted to do while you're down for the weekend?"

His mom pulled out her phone, flipping through what Tobio could only assume was her schedule. "Hm... Honey, what about we go on a mini tour of the campus, then get dinner at seven? Wait, scratch that, dinner at six; I have to make a call to a buyer at seven." His mom was a realtor.

They haggled over plans a bit until they made a decision: go to the arboretum at three, go out to eat at four. A perfect plan...

So tonight was the night.

"Mom, dad, I have something to tell you at dinner. There's someone I want you to meet."

+++

The tour was...tiring.

They constantly stopped and asked what certain plants did, or if they could be used to do this or that.

Kageyama had been a member since school started, but he was still pretty new; he didn't know much.

Now, they were sitting at a dinner table, worn out and quiet.

How long had they been waiting for Percy? Ten minutes? Ten hours? Time seemed to drag when you had nothing to say.

"So," his mother said after taking a prolonged sip of champagne, "Kageyama. How is school going?"

"Good."

"And your grades?"

"...Good."

"What about your love life? Who is this special girl that we've heard nothing about?"

Suddenly, Kageyama's interest seemed to lie in the bubbles of his champagne, trickling slowly to the top before bursting. "Oh, uh, about that..."

His dad clapped him on the shoulder. "Come on, Aoi, you're embarrassing the kid." Thanks, dad. "Cleary, Tobio doesn't have a girlfriend. I bet he's just introducing us to a friend."