10. Running To Or From?

Song: Weather- Novo Amor

It took eight more days before Hinata was well enough to go to school. When he did, he nearly had a mental breakdown with all the work he'd missed, because even if he was an art student, it was still a lot more work than most people assumed.

Kenma had made him stay home the seventh day, even though Hinata protested that he was well enough to go to classes. He was glad Kenma had forced him; fifteen minutes upon waking up, he realized he had a huge stomach ache and thus proceeded to vomit twice.

During class, he could barely stay awake. Kids around him eyed him warily; they didn't need to get puked on.

When the day was done, he normally would've gone to the arboretum to take care of his plants, but he just couldn't do it.

Hinata hoped someone had watered his plants for him, was on the verge of tears during class when thinking about all of his plants dying without him.

But when it came down to it, he just didn't feel well enough to go and water them himself today. Not to mention, he'd have to interact with everyone in the club, and that would drain him even more.

Hinata barely managed the walk to his dorm room.

Kenma was asleep at his desk when Shouyou came in. Careful not to make too much noise, Hinata stumbled up to his bunk and passed out. He didn't want to sleep, didn't want to have those nightmares anymore, but he didn't have a choice.

It was either sleep or suffer in the real world. At least in his dreams, he got to see Natsu again.

+++

Kageyama stabbed his gardening spade into the dirt in an angry flurry; He pictured the dirt as the Headmaster's face.

Also, though he'd never admit it, the real reason that he was angrily stabbing at earth was because Hinata was still gone. Ten days. In that time, Kageyama had come to club every day, secretly hoping to run into Hinata but not knowing why.

The kid irritated him, that much was clear, but something else was there, too. Something bigger. He didn't even know the kid, so why...?

Time was moving on in the Gardening Club but without Hinata Shouyou. Kageyama had already begun to piece together the members of the club. Suga and Daichi were like the married couple, the parents of everyone. Super friendly and concerned (Daichi was normally more serious, but Sugawara also had a devilish streak in him). Yamaguchi was the cute, sweet type. He always sang when he was alone planting and was the number one person to come to for emotional support. Oh, and he liked pastels a lot. Tanaka was energetic and loud, not to mention the crazy vibe he sent out to anyone within ten feet. The kid was fun to talk to.

But then there was Hinata. While Tobio had gotten used to all of the other members, there was still one that he knew nothing about. It pissed him off.

Kageyama continued his assault on the dirt until Tanaka sat down next to him.

The other boy didn't speak for a moment, which was unlike him. Normally, he'd come barreling towards Kageyama and tackle him to the ground. Now, his voice was soft and afraid. "Do you think Hinata will come back soon?"

Tobio didn't answer. He just shrugged, throwing the spade down in irritated defeat.

Tanaka continued. "I knew him in middle school, yanno." He paused like there was something he needed to say but didn't know how or when to say it. "He was different back then."

Kageyama somehow couldn't picture that. In his head, he'd figured Hinata had always been a bright ray of sunshine since birth.

"More honest. He was always going on and on about volleyball or the future or...or..." Tanaka suddenly stopped. Tobio heard a sniffle and wondered if he had allergies.

Gently, he took a stab in the dark. "Natsu?"

From the side of his eye, he saw Tanaka nod. Neither said anything.

Then, "Did you know?"

Tobio folded his arms over his legs. "Depends on what you mean."

Tanaka laughed softly, but there was no humor in it. "About Natsu. About Hinata. Do you know that story?"

This was the moment Kageyama had been waiting for. But now that the moment had come, he felt like he didn't want to know.

It was strange, how many emotions he felt for a stranger.

Tanaka started to speak, but then changed his mind and said instead, "I guess his story isn't up to me to tell you, but... There's a lot more to him  than what everyone thinks." Kageyama nodded. "He's not as happy as he acts, yanno?"

"Did you know him in high school?" Kageyama didn't know what else to ask- maybe he was just trying to steer the conversation away from where it might be going.

Ryuunosuke shook his head. "He moved at the beginning of his first year. I was a second year then, plus we'd never talked much before that anyway. All I knew about the kid was that he was really short and loud, in a funnyish kind of way." He spat angrily. "I should have reached out to him when I had the chance."

Kageyama never asked what he meant.

+++

When he left, Kageyama had to forcefully pick dirt out of his nails. While planting Suga's carrots, he'd dropped more than he could count.

Is Hinata okay?

The thought randomly crossed his mind, and he wondered if he should visit again.

Normally, he wouldn't have. But something about Tanaka's words stood out to him. I should have reached out to him when I had the chance.

Tobio's legs steered him in the opposite direction towards Hinata's dorm building. As he ascended the steps, he hoped he didn't get lost like he always did, but it seemed like his legs knew exactly where to go.

Before he knew it, he was face to face with dorm number 62.

Raised his hand to knock-- held it there.

What was holding him back? He moved to sit against the wall opposite the room, head against the wall and knees pulled to his chest. He truly didn't understand why he couldn't knock, or why he was there in the first place, or why he didn't want to see what was inside.

Whenever it came to Hinata, Kageyama was one big question mark.

Out of the side of his eye, he saw a small figure walking towards him from the end of the hallway. A light flickered, illuminating the top of their head. Blonde with brown roots.

Kageyama shot up, felt his legs carry him backwards, praying that the other hadn't seen him. Kenma looked up right before Tobio turned around. Their eyes connected for a brief second, and he let out a confused, "What're you-" before Kageyama turned and bolted back the way he came.

He ran down the steps, running from Kenma. He ran out the front door and was greeted by clouds heavy with snow, running towards his dorm building. He ran down the sidewalk, breath forming a trail behind him in the cold air, running from Hinata. He ran until his legs felt like they were going to burst, and if someone were to ask him why he was running, he wouldn't have an answer to give.

He looked back at the dorm building, so far away now. It looked so small from here. Much less intimidating, but Kageyama still felt the air in his lungs implode as he heaved over, trying to suck in air.

He tried to tell himself that it was just because he'd been running. That it was cold.

Anything except the reason that he always knew to be true, since he couldn't face the boy any more than his own feelings.

Kageyama Tobio liked Hinata Shouyou. It was as simple and yet utterly complicated as that.