29. An Icy Time

Song: Contact High- Architecture in Helsinki (such a cute song, love it)

Ha... I LIED! IM UPDATING EARLY BC I WROTE TWO CHAPTERS TODAY AND I COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY TO PUBLISH IT. (but don't expect this to happen often... U got lucky, punks)

When they arrived at their final destination, Tobio's shoulders were sore and Hinata's back ached like a mother, but neither of them complained.

Secretly, they relished in the time they'd spent so far.

"Hey, Kageyama."

"Yeah?" He had set the boy down.

"Are we... We're just friends, right?"

Tobio pretended to not know what he was talking about. Just friends? Unfortunately. "Yeah, why?"

"Hm? Oh, uh, no reason." Suddenly, blushing and fiddling with his hands, Hinata changed the topic. "So... An ice skating rink, then?"

Kageyama felt himslef blushing as well. Suddenly, his confidence from before was withering away. "Yeah. Let's go-- I mean, if you want to. If you hate it, we can-"

"No!" The sudden outburst made Kags jump. Hinata grinned sheepishly. "Sorry. But no, I want to date-- I mean, skate-...! with you....!"

He wouldn't look Tobio in the eye, a vicious shade of red as the two entered the building.

What was up with Shouyou? Maybe he had eaten a bad meatbun earlier?

Shrugging, Kageyama followed him inside.

+++

As it turns out, Kageyama would soon become the laughing stock of the ice skating rink.

He'd never been ice skating before. He'd driven past the rink a few times back in high school when he was bussed to his matches, and he'd always wanted to try it but never got around to it with his busy schedule.

What with his athleticism and all, he'd arrogantly believed that he'd be good at every sport, so why should ice skating be any different? Wrong.

The moment his rental skate touched the ice, he was sweating with his utter inability at ice skating. He could barely stand up straight-- let alone skate with falling.

Ahead of him, Hinata was lazily spinning in large, slow circles as he waited for Tobio to catch up. The boy's small hands were tucked away in pockets, head bobbing along to an imagined tune-- he was completely at ease.

Unlike Kageyama.

"You okay?" Hinata finally skated up to Tobio, cheeks an endearing shade of pink from the cold. "I can slow down and skate with you, if you want."

That didn't exactly help Kageyama's pride. "No, I'm f--" He narrowly avoided planting himself on his behind before balancing back out. "I'm fine." said Tobio (rather unconvincingly.)

Hinata eyed him up, but said nothing. "Alright."

Opposite of what he'd told Kageyama, Shouyou slowed down and skated next to Tobio in silence for a few moments. He would've talked, but the intense look of pure 100% concentration on Kag's face made him rethink that choice.

After a few minutes, he went off skating by himself, creating long, winding patterns in the rink. He thought about the club as he went, about how much better he seemed to be doing lately. He deserved this.

He glanced back at Tobio, still struggling to forge a straight line, accidently knocking down a small child in the process (she began crying, and Tobio skated away guiltily, hoping to escape the wrath of whoever was the mother of that little girl) and Hinata found himself smiling gidily.