7. The Night After

Song: In Our Bedroom After the War- Stars

When Hinata woke up, he thought that it was still nighttime. The sky was dark, and moonlight streamed in through the window. Then he looked at the clock hanging on the wall. 9: 37 PM.

He was sweating, the gross liquid dripping off of him and soaking his pillow.

Hinata's mind drifted to his nightmare. Before he could think anything more about it, a sharp pain stabbed its way into his skull, making him softly cry out in pain.

"Shit..." He clutched at his head, massaging it with one hand. His entire body felt groggy, and he felt like a slow cooker was lit inside of him. He wiped a bead of sweat away.

Underneath him, he heard someone rustling. Kenma.

Soon, he saw a blonde and brunette head peak up over the edge of the bed. "You're awake?" Kenma's voice was soft, concerned.

Hinata tried to nod. The motion sent another nail in his brain. He grimaced, letting out a slow groan that Kenma took as an answer. "You have a fever." He paused, like he wasn't sure what to say. "You were screaming in your sleep last night. Something about..." Kenma paused abruptly. He didn't continue, instead just stared at the space above Hinata's head.

"Oh." The words were hoarse in his throat. "Sorry." He shut his eyes, trying to make both the physical and mental pain go away.

Kenma shook his head. "It's not your fault."

Hinata opened his eyes once he realized it wasn't helping for shit. "Did I sleep...All day?"

Kenma nodded. "It's Sunday, though. You didn't miss any classes." He looked away again, clearly unsure what to do. "Do you want anything?"

Hinata let out a slow breath. He was sweating, in pain, and tired. The list went on for a while. "Ah...Cold towel and...and water? Please?" His throat burned from just those words.

Kenma's head dissapeared, then reappeared what felt like seconds later with both. He awkwardly managed to get on the bed without spilling anything and lay the towel on Hinata's forehead. He tipped Hinata's head up with his hand to let him drink.

The cold water and towel felt like heaven. Hinata managed a weak, "Thank you," and a smile. Kenma blushed, brushing it off.

"Do you need...anything else?"

Hinata didn't know what compelled him to say it, but he let the words slip out anyway. "Can you...stay here?"

He seemed to understand what Hinata was trying to say. Careful not to shake the bed too much, Kenma lie down by Hinata's side. Having him there was surprisingly very comforting for Hinata.

His skin was cool to the touch, and Hinata told himself that that was the only reason he found himself curled up against the other.

Kenma didn't say anything for a while.

Then, after Hinata found himself drifting off again, he felt Kenma squeeze his hand ever-so-gently. "You'll be okay, Shouyou." He let go, and Hinata felt sleep wrap around him. "Night."