Chapter 18

What's this uneasiness that I'm feeling?

************************************

Caleb Pov

It's always the same. Every single regulation has been declined or rejected by the government of California. I am fed up. I sighed as I loosened my tie and looked out of the plane. It was cloudy and dark outside. I was returning back and it looks like my trip didn't go as I had planned.

Leaning back against my seat, I closed my eyes. I jerked up from my seat and groaned in aggravation.

"What is this?" I muttered rubbing my chest. I took the bottle from the seat pocket and gulped down the liquid. It didn't really ease the different ache in my chest but somehow I felt relaxed.

I have been feeling this burning and stinging pain in my chest from the day I left for California.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number. It rang but nobody responded.

"What the heck?" I muttered and tried again but only to be disappointed.

I have been trying to get to her and have tried to call many times but only to be disappointed. I have been even informed by the office staff that she hasn't shown up in the office from two days.

I wonder what has happened to her.

I scratched my chin and switched my phone off when the attendant announced that we were about to land.

"Take me home, " I told the driver and he did as he was told.

My phone rang and I looked immediately at the caller ID hoping for Sangavi but was disappointed again.

"Did you get any information?" I asked Bailey whom I gave the order to find about Sangavi whereabouts.

"No, Sir! I have been calling her but each time no one responds but the phone is ringing" she said and somehow I felt apprehensive about her.

"Shall I send someone to her house?" she asked and I denied with a mere "mm mm" and disconnected the call.

"Take the route towards Ms. Carter's house," I told the driver and tried to call her again. As expected, the call remained unattended.

"We are here," he said and I got out pulling the jacket closer to me.

I went inside the building and to her floor. When I reached her apartment door, I was shocked to find the yellow ribbon there and the door was locked.

"What happened here?" I whispered and looked around.

I went to the next door and knocked on it wondering if her neighbor had any idea about what was going on.

The door opened and a middle-aged woman came into sight.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Uh excuse me ma'am do you have any idea why the door to Ms. Carter's house has been locked? Do you know where she is?" I asked and she took a step forward which made me a step backward.

"You mean Sangavi?" She asked and I nodded.

"Oh God! You don't know what happened to her?" She asked horrified which immediately built anxiety inside me upon seeing her reaction.

"N-No, what happened?" I asked wishing to the lords that may everything be fine with her.

"Two days ago when she returned home she had a home invasion by a criminal" she had and I took a deep breath taking in every word of her.

"And?" I asked.

"And she got into a fight with him which lead her to serious injuries and she knocked out when the cops reached her but" she stopped with a small smile on her lips.

"But?" I urged her to say.

"But she is a brave woman. Not only did she fight with the man but she knocked him out too and got him caught. The man is in jail right now while she has been admitted to hospital for her condition. I did visit her but she was unconscious."

I exhaled out air which I was holding and facepalm myself in agony.

"Which hospital?" I asked in urgency.

"Silver Soul Community Hospital, " she said and I nodded leaving before saying a quick "Thank You."

"Please be alright" I repeated all my way till I raced down to my car and literally barked at my driver to take me to the hospital as soon as possible.

"Hello Bailey"

"Yes, Sir?"

"Reschedule my meetings for today. I have an emergency today. I can't come" as I kept my eyes towards the route wishing to reach the hospital as soon as we could.

"Okay sir!" she said and I hung up on her.

"Hurry! Hurry" I said with impatient.

I was anxious and was eager to know about her conditions. I just wished that may her be alright.

When we reached the hospital, I hurried towards the receptionist and asked her.

"She is in casualty sir," she said as she looked through the computer.

"What? Why has she been kept in casualty till now?" I asked with a sudden aggressiveness in my voice.

"That's because she was alone and she still hasn't regained consciousness. So she is under observation" she said and without wasting any more minute, I dashed towards the room.

"Sangavi Carter," I told the nurse and she pointed her finger towards a section. I rushed there and stopped right before her unconscious self.

My breath got caught when she was in my sight. There was a bandage wrapped around her forehead and one on her leg. Her face was covered with bruises and I could see some scratches on her neck and foot.

"San-Sangavi" I murmured as I took a step closer to her.

Her eyes were closed and she laid still on her place not moving or responding to me. It scared me. I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean I just left her two days ago, she was fine..laughing, talking, glaring but now it laid motionless on the bed looking terrible.

Her skin was pale and her lips were chapped.

"Ms. Carter" I called again as I tried to wake her up.

"Hey! Sangavi" I touched her hand which was cold in comparison to mine. She was freezing. I took the sheet and covered her and rubbed her palm continuously to get her some heat.

"Hey! Sangavi" I tried to wake her up.

"God" I sighed and leaned my head down on her hand and waited patiently for her to wake up because it was possibly the only thing I could do for her.

To wait.