TWENTY SIX: A Party?

Be strong enough to let go and patient enough to wait for what you deserve.

- Unknown.

Quick question for ya, which is your favorite quote and why 😀😄.

Neith's Pov

The sound of my harsh breathing along with the pounding of my heart made me deaf to all noises around me.

Left... right... left... right...

I punched the hanging bag. I felt the familiar burning sensation pulse through me, making its way to my ribs.

Just a few more, I willed myself.

I finished my workout and sat on the marble stool. The cool breeze felt pleasant against my sweat soaked skin, leaving a trail of goosebumps.

I took in deep breaths to calm my racing heart. I chugged some water from the clay cup but it did little to quench my thirst.

Looking towards the horizon I realised that the sun was setting. 

Sheesh! How did I not notice that it was so late into the evening?

The sky was in an orange and pink setting with a slash of gold. The birds flocked the sky, their feathers glowing in vibrant colours against the soft rays of the sun. The sunsets were always breathtakingly beautiful.

The smile on my face faded as I remembered where I was.

Almost a year had passed since I was wedded to the Pharaoh, almost a year and I still wasn't able to defeat him.

I sighed as I remember the times I had come close but never close enough to actually beat him.

I shook my head to get the negative thoughts out. I had improved a lot over the past year and even though it would still take a while to beat Aahotep, I knew I could definitely make it. It was only a matter of time.

Speaking of Aahotep, I really didn't get the guy. Just by looking at him you would know he was powerful. Even the air surrounding him holds that authoritative power.

But on close inspection you can see his more subtle side. The way his eyes soften when he is being thanked or when he hears the joyous laughter of children. This side of him really bewilders me.

I mean how can a man who claims to have killed my father show such tender emotional? Something wasn't right and I intended to find out what it was. But I needed to get stronger for that.

My mind drifted to Ammon. A smile appeared on my face.

He had changed so much during this year. He and Anka had been getting quite close recently. Whenever I talk about Ammon to Anka, her cheeks become red and she changes the topic as fast as a hare runs when it's being hunted down. They think I don't notice it but I ain't that stupid. My best friend and my brother falling in love is the best thing that had ever happened to me or Ammon in a long time.

I sit on the bench for a while longer, admiring the garden under the now starlit sky.

Even at this distance the air smelled faintly of flowers from the garden below. The distant noise of the crickets eased my mind and relaxed my soul.