Counting the Costs

I sat cross-legged on my bed adding up the last few bills from the attorney, even with me paying a fraction of the bill they were still astronomical. It was now a few days after the three-quarter Beatle get together and the place was returning to a type of normal- John normal anyway.

"Mail!" John bellowed through the apartment, not the usual way he heralded the mails appearance. A head poked around my door "Hello there, two letters from the same address, one for me, one for you, whatever shall we do, do, do!?!"

"Perhaps you can just toss me my letter and it can be opened, probably the best solution" I keep looking over my bills never looking up. John flipped the letter over onto the bed. I read the return address and cursed under my breath "Just great, another bill"

"ME DIVORCE IS FINAL, I'M FREE!!" John was having a mini celebration in the hallway. "Let's Celebrate! Hey, open your letter it might be good news too"

"I doubt it" I picked up the letter wishing John was right and that it was the good news. I fanned myself with it, making John roll his eyes and nearly rip it from my hand to open himself "NO"

"Spoil Sport"

I used my nail to rip into the envelope, glancing at its contents. I handed it to Lennon.

"What! He wants custody!? That useless twat, that would be the worst possible outcome for those kids." John glanced over and saw me cringe sadly at the thought. He sat heavily on the bed." We will sort this out ok. I'll ring the lawyer now. What a nerve...... Why are you going over this lot of rubbish for?"

"I am looking at the endless abyss of legal fees. I will never be able to pay you back and by the sounds of it Matt is attempting to get his paws on the kids even though he has no hope. All just another trip to the great big ZERO bank balance of mine"

"Hey this 'ere is nothing for you to worry about. I want to help you and the kids, get you reunited with ya folks an' all" John flicked all the paperwork on the floor and patted the bed space next to him.

"Well thanks for the mess" I moved over and gave him a little kiss on the cheek "You are wonderful no matter what anyone else says" He gave me a sideways glance and smiled putting an arm around me "I know he hasn't a hope of having the kids it's just; he just can never give in" I looked at the floor and round the room "So all this to ship us out back to the colonies then, is it?"

"Well I would accompany you there, make sure you were safe, you would also get the wonderful highly desirable job of showing me round... and off" John jabbed me at his 'joke' "Then when you were ready I would whisk you back home"

"John"

"Hmmmmm" He was in his own little world, probably dreaming of riding kangaroos.

"Home"

"Yea home, here of course"

"You really do think of this as my home don't you" I was now studying his face waiting for it to dawned upon him the words he had spoken. I waited for the retraction the 'oh sorry' but it never came "OK if I'm going to think this is my home. There needs to be some things done round here"

"Anything"

"You're sure- anything"

"Yeppp!"

"Well to start with I will need to be woo-ed at least twice a week and......."

"woo-ed?"

"Yea- woo-ed , you know, like normal people. Sitting in the park and becoming the babysitter is not getting to know you properly"

"But you're here every-day, why do I need to woo you?"

"God I can't even get a 'once a week out of you' bloody tight -British! Helping me wash up is not dating. We have gone from strangers to old married couple and missed the good bits!" I nudged him and he pushed me down on the bed but didn't follow, he pulled me back up instead.

"Date, oh I see. You Aussies and your lingo. Cobber. Gidday" I pushed him over now and it became a tussle my letter laid forgotten for a later time.