Return To Sender

Sam's POV

Well that went well, not. After hustling my chicks all the way back to the refuge as quickly as I could, we rounded the corner and my heart fell, the last shred of hope I clung to sank as I glimpsed the line, 2 deep and snaking toward the bakery.

Cross that bed off the list.

Blocks and blocks we had to walk to Midtown, the main refuge centre, about an hours walk without kids, more with them, hungry, grumpy and cross that we hadn't settled for the night. Stephen held my hand and squeezed it tight. I glanced down and gave him a big smile 'its ok' etched in my eyes.

"Sorry you should have been here 2 hours ago. Come back tomorrow." The volunteer staff member was apologetic. We were able to get a small meal but no bed.

"Mummy which way now" Jasmine looked about the busy streets.

"Look there's the Empire State Building, isn't it beautiful. The tallest in the city!" I kept pointing out interesting places as I herded them back up the streets. Lots of people jostled us and I made sure to grasp their hands tightly.

"Mummy look the museum. The zoo is up this way, and the park" Stephen glanced over at Jasmine and gave her a big grin he presumed, incorrectly, that we would eventually be going back to the Dakota, we weren't.

I was heading towards one of the many bridges scattered through the park, some had walking paths under them and fewer had benches.

That is where we were heading.

"Lay down here, each side of me. Now close your eyes, sleep please" I gave them a hug each. Jas had tears in her eyes but didn't cry. "It's ok, tomorrow we will go back to the refuge" I grabbed my pocket knife out holding it tightly in my hands and proceeded to stay awake all night.

The hours went by so slowly. I would think there was a crack of sun starting to appear then realise It was a light at another part of the park flickering.

I made a decision to fix my problem as I sat there.

I needed to get my kids the beds they deserved. Right or wrong I would keep them safe, dry and fed.

Johns POV

"Thanks doc for all your assistance, Sean is back to his normal hyper self!" I held Sean's hand and shook the doctors hand with my other. "Let's go Sean!"

"Yay daddy, can we see the kids when we get home" Sean's face beamed up at me and my heart broke a little.

"Umm yeah if they're there today" I lied.

Magic and the children hadn't been there for the three days Sean was in hospital. After the second day I strode down to the refuge and barged in.

I'm fuckin John Lennon I can find 'em I thought.

"Sorry sir no one of that name here." The clerk person tapped the book then shutting it hard as I tried to read upside down. I went back the third day- today and left my number just in case.

As we made the floor of our apartment Sean dashed happily to the front door full of beans, right as rain after his stint in hospital. I opened the door, the phone was ringing, Sean went to answer but whoever it was rang off. The phone shrilled again and Sean grabbed it thinking his mother was on the other end of the line.

"Daddy, it's not mummy"

"Go say hello to your dinosaurs in your room mate"

"Hello?"

"Arrr Mr Lennon. My name is Stacey Hivel, I'm the support case manager for City Woman's Refuges. You were enquiring about a lady, Samantha, you didn't know her last name but you know the kiddies?"

"Yea never got round to getting her last name. But her children and my son have been great mates. We have just missed them these last few days" My hands held the phone tightly waiting for the woman to flick through her paperwork.

"Well this is highly irregular to be speaking of a client like this, privacy and all that you know.. But I understand you were hoping to help them get into some sort of permanent housing and your generous contribution to the city refuges will be enormously helpful to the refuge facilities"

"Yes well if you can just give me her current location I can get her into the new housing I told you about"

"Well Mr Lennon, I'm a big big fan by the way" She giggled and I rolled my eyes "You'll be very pleased to know she has been able to resolve her differences with her husband, they are all home and safe"

"Oh.  Ohhhh" I sat on the chair by the phone and rubbed my forehead, the start of a migraine for sure.

"Well thanks again, have a lovely day sir"

"Wait hang on a minute."

"Yes?"

"Her address, can I have it. I have some of her items here she forgot to pick them up" I was flat out lying but my stomach told me I needed to find her, I just knew in my gut she wasn't safe and dandy with that husband of hers.

Sams POV

I've got them in beds, with nice food for dinner and long warm showers.

They are safe.

I tucked Jasmines blanket in, she was always kicking it off.

"Glad you came to your senses. You'd be wise not to do it again though" He was following me around the living room as I picked up the kids toys. They had had something of a reunion with them all when they got home, making me feel even more guilty for taking them away in the first place. As I crawled about picking up lego blocks Matt stomped his foot on my hand. "You listening woman?"

"Matt I'm home, I'm sorry, I was mixed up and confused. I won't do it again" He glared at me his eyes were glazed over with vindictiveness and hate. He wasn't drunk which made it even worse. If it was like this now sober, how would it be after the bar sessions.......

"No...you won't ..."

BANG.

As I stood, he punched me in the stomach, I sunk back to the floor "Matt please, no!" He picked me up shaking me like a rag doll til he dropped me, with a disgusted huff, again.

"I was being nice, you bitch. Letting you hide the marks and purples from the other mummy's at school- no more!!"

I wasn't sure what he meant in those first seconds but he sure did show me soon enough.

An hour later? Thirty minutes later? I don't know how long but he was certain he had done a good job of remedying my having the gall to leave him. He wandered away, and I heard the shower running.

I crawled to the kitchen to get ice, water, a towel; anything to help stem the bleeding and dull the pain.

The main thing is though-

The children are safe.

Tucked up in bed with full belly's.