Look, a Beatle On The Lawn

Samanthas POV

One more night-shift 'til I get two whole nights off, maybe I can sleep soundly then.

The nights were killing me slowly. Sleep wasn't easy in broad daylight with children bouncing on me intermittently.

Sean's dad must have wondered where we were living in the building by now, it won't be long til we lose our safe place, no doubt. The dad was like a lion with his young  it was good but he scared me; I don't think I will help the little cutie again.

We made our way back to the refuge...

"Mummy can we have cake?" Jasmine stopped and pointed in the window at the cream cakes.

"No sweetie we can get dinner as soon as we get back to the room, alright" The poor pay I was getting was not enough for anything, I also, while I worked, had to give money for the room, leaving nothing for cream cakes and tempting pastries, my stomach growled as I let myself cast a wandering fanciful eye over the bakery delights.

As I re-positioned the duffle bag on my back I had a feeling of being watched, my skin crawled. Matt couldn't have found us, could he?

I glanced around but saw nothing.

************

Days later as I lay back down on the duffle bag I could hear the children sprinting up and down the grass. Stephen had found a ball at the laundromat so a game of soccer was being played metres from my face.

A deep voice with an English accent yelled 'pass it' to which Jasmine yelled 'here you go- run!'. This intrigued me enough to roll over onto my stomach for a look at the 'soccer' field.

They were a way off, running on an angle toward the right. Sean was dashing about chasing his dad trying to tackle him, Stephen and Jas were being passed the ball, then it was kicked solidly back to the dad again. I had to shade my eyes to see the fast-paced players chasing about.

That was all about to stop suddenly though.

"Pass it to me, pass it to me, daddy" Sean called for the ball he had his back to me and the dad was about to flick the ball to his left. Just at that point Stephen rushed him and the dad kicked too hard sending the small missile hurtling towards me.

I scrambled on my knees to the left and caught the ball in my hands, I also caught one little person who was so intent on getting the ball he dove on me too!

"Sorry magic!!" Sean yelled laughing. I still had him on my lap I gave him back the ball and a good little tickle on his tummy, he squealed and yelped in delight as I leaned over him giving him a quick hug before releasing him. I couldn't help it, he was a cutie-pie. He turned and gave me a kiss on the cheek and tore off after Jas and Stephen. His dad flopped down heavily on the grass laying on his back, face turned away watching his son screaming in delight.

"Sorry, I just couldn't resist getting him to giggle, he has a great laugh" I was a bit wary of the man, he seemed intent on Sean talking only to him.

"Arghhhhh, I think I'm dying" Dad gasped dramatically for lungfuls of air.

The football game had taken a toll on him.

"Here" I tossed the water bottle at him, it hit him in his side. I cringed but he only laughed.

"Why thank-you, Magic"

"Magic?"

"Sean's name for ya" He held his hand up and pointed toward the group of children. "He thinks you're the bee's knees, quite the fan you have there" The dad was twirling the water bottle about in his hand above his head.

"You're English?"

"Yea Liverpool" He paused, thinking maybe about his homeland "I detect Australian in your speech, right?"

"Observant aren't you. Yes, I've been here for 10 years now, can't shake a good Aussie out of me. I was actually born in Liverpool in Australia would you believe"

As I spoke the dad suddenly rolled and propped himself up on his elbow, and looked long and hard at me. Seconds passed as I took in his all too familiar face and as realisation dawned I felt sick, no, worried.

John 'The Beatle Superstar' Lennon was Sean's dad. We were trespassing in a music icons backyard.

John saw the dawn of recognition in my eyes and the colour draining from my face. I went to scramble up and nearly took a tumble. "Sit down Magic. I don't bite."

"But, but we're trespassing in your backyard. I... We'll leave. I'm so, so sorry, I thought this was just some toffee-nosed businessmen that lived here" I did a mental face slap, now I had just insulted him.

"You thought, I, me?! Was a toffee-nosed business man!! Well that's a new one haven't been called that before!" John glanced at the kids and shuffled a little closer. "So, are you gonna scream out me name an' go all crazy?!"

"NO"

"Why not? You recognise me. I can see that"

Well it's...... Never mind, it's nothing"

"Come on, you have to talk to me. I'm right here"

Well it's just that you're, you're not my favourite one, are you. I don't need to scream your name out, do I" I gazed around everywhere John wasn't. Determined to tease him right back, as he was being silly with me. My confidence was rising inside.

John dropped his gaze and almost pouted "Bloody Macca wins again"

"Nope" This was fun, first proper conversation I have had in months and it's with one of the Beatles!

"Not Macca?! The silent one, Harrison, must be. Sly dog, that boy"

"Nope" I sniggered and had a giggle holding my hand over my mouth.

"Rings, no way!"

"Yes way. Only reason I recognise you is because I couldn't get any 'just Ringo' posters for my walls" I couldn't resist, the look he gave me was priceless. I laughed as he recovered his composure.

As I dug in my duffle bag I thought best to stop his suffering.

"I concede, you WERE my fav". Tossing my, old thirteen-year-old teenage-self's Beatle shirt at him.

My one item I kept that wasn't essential clothing.

"Wow, let yourself go a bit luv"

"Cheeky. I was thirteen! You have been around a while now, ya know"

"Touché" John smiled at me and tossed the shirt back over. I looked down and heavy black permanent marker was scrawled across the body that was Johns 'To Magic from John xx.'

I beamed up at him he was just what I had hoped he would be: Charming and as handsome as all the pictures (he was actually better looking in real life) and near me.... Talking to me.

Johns POV

All the children descended on us in that moment a tangle of legs and arms and smiling faces. Over the top of the happy faces we smiled and took in each other for a few seconds more, before tickling the children silly.

"I'm Samantha- Sam by the way" "Pleased to meet you" she said.

A slip of a girl. Her arms were tanned. Eyes bright. She looked healthy but then the top of her blouse pulled down a little and I thought I could see round red scars similarly to my bullet wounds but she shifted so quickly I wasn't entirely sure. Another scar, barely visible was under her eye trailing down over her cheek and around to her ear.

What sort of monster was she escaping...