Bright Lights

Sams POV

Three days and I was done.

The kids knew the nightly routine, they were like little soldiers marching to their rooms as soon as Matt got home, Stephen cradling me nightly when his father had finished his tirade.

After John's appearance Mr Jennink's across the street had done exactly as I expected, called Matt and told him of my male visitor. I was locked in the laundry til the following morning, my legs red from repeated lashings from his leather belt.

Jasmine handed me the number the next morning. She had it hidden in the lining of her favourite bear, Paddington. She didn't have to convince me with words, her eyes spoke volumes.

********

"John" I whispered down the line at the phone box near the supermarket. A suitcase each sat at my family's feet. Paddington's coming on this trip, so he was under Jasmines arm.

"I'm coming. Now tell me somewhere where he can't see you I don't want you waiting on the street" John spoke down the line, his voice was sure and sincere, my hand shook as I listened.

We arranged to meet at the library.

I sat at the table watching the children reading, I caught a tear and wiped it away. Maybe John would help for a little while but I couldn't act like he would make all my problems go away.

"Uncle John" Jasmine was first to race over to him. She caught him in a hug and my heart strings pulled and constricted, I can't recall her doing that to Matt.

Stephen wearily pulled the books toward him, gave me a look to say 'let's go' he then went and placed the books in their spots on the shelf behind me.

The children quickly pulled all their bags towards John.

I hadn't moved. I couldn't.

My head was full of uselessness- me.

A hand touched mine and I recoiled then relaxed. John was crouched beside me, looking, no studying my face. He stood and looked at the kids then held his hand out to me, no words, no push just - 'I'm here, just take my hand' in his eyes. I finally caught on when I dragged my eyes slowly to his.

Speeding past the skyscrapers and alongside Central Park I swear he took too many chances with amber lights but we got to the Dakota in one piece. As the car slid quietly into the underground car-park he spoke for the first time since we got in. I had been nervous, jumpy even, wondering why I had even called him. This was John Lennon for crying out loud not a womans refuge.

"The doctor's upstairs" He held a hand up to stop me saying it wasnt neccessary "And you will let him check you out" His voice was firm and I nodded slightly as I alighted from the car. Looking into the backseat I realised the children had both dozed off.

Shaking them gently awake we managed to guide them through the garage, into the elevator and deposited them into beds in the same room just incase they were scared if they woke confused, then John introduced me to Doctor Lee again. My evening was taken up with a full check over and given scripts for various pain killing drugs and told to attend the x-ray office for my arm in the morning.

Standing by the window, high above central park, was surreal "It's so beautiful from up here" I spoke to the room, alone. The park was lit in places, dark in others, the pathways shone brightly as they wove through the trees and grass. Further over across the park, the lights of millions twinkled and flashed, people getting ready for bed, children jumping on beds, shopkeepers ending the nights trading.

John stepped over with a cup of tea and we stood in silence. I sat on the chair next to the window still gazing out, John stayed in his spot, one hand holding the top of the window frame.

*************

Johns POV

"Let's find you a bed, you must be buggered"

I turned because there was no answer, she was fast asleep curled in the chair, her cup teetering but still safe in her firm grasp. Crouching next to her I looked over her features pushing a stray wisp of hair from her face. Taking the cup I gently shook her awake "Up you get, sleepyhead"

"John?! Oh sorry" Sam got up stiffly and let me lead her through the maze that was home. The bed loomed and she wearily sat down.

"Here let me get your shoes"

Sam wasn't up to complaining so with my assistance the shoes soon disappeared and I gently touched her shoulders to lay her down. She was half asleep but conscious enough to be wary of me, she was stiff and tense. A soft sheet was placed gently over her, up to her chin and she drifted slowly away.

I stood in the doorway for a few minutes, turned overhead lights off and left night lights on, just as I would for Sean. "Good night Magic".

Everything was a little better at the end of the day from where it had been at the start.