Soda One-Shot

"I'm headed to bed," Darry Curtis said one evening as I was sitting on the couch in the living room, my head on his younger brother, my best friend, Soda's shoulder. It was a quiet night, everyone had gone home, and their younger brother Ponyboy had crashed hours ago. Nothing was playing on the TV, we had heard the National Anthem hours ago and it had switched off, and it was just the three of us sitting there.

"Night, Dare," I responded with a yawn. "I think I'm gonna head home now." He ran a hand through his hair.

"No you're not, Y/N. It's too late. Take the couch, kiddo." I rolled my eyes, he always had me do this when I stayed late. He was nervous that the Socs would find me if I was out walking too late and it would be his fault.

"Thank you," I said, giving him a hug. He smiled at me, and I sat back down, yawning again and curling up into Soda's shoulder. He put his arm around me and I watched Darry disappear into his room and close the door.

Darry and I had always been close, he was like an older brother, maybe even a father to me.

"Are you staying out here with me?" I asked Soda. He shook his head. He never did, he was too worried his girlfriend would be jealous.

His girlfriend, Sandy, was a drop-dead gorgeous middle class girl who was madly in love with Soda and made him incredibly happy.

I hated her.

She was a bitch to everyone, but only when he wasn't around, and acted like she was better than him. She acted like she was a princess and he was her servant or something, always waiting on her hand and foot, making sure she was happy. He treated her great, but she didn't deserve it at all.

He was in love with her and was very careful about our friendship, always trying to make sure she wouldn't get jealous. But she did anways, and it bugged the heck out of me, although I wouldn't say it.

"I'm gonna go into my room. Make sure Pony doesn't have a nightmare," he said.

"Goodnight, Soda," I said. He smiled at me, and gave me a look before he got up, like he didn't want to leave. I didn't want him to leave either.

I was comfy.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Sandy, I just don't understand it!" I woke up with a start, hearing Sodapop yell at Sandy. Was she here? I rubbed my eyes and squinted at the clock, it was three o'clock in the morning.

Soda was in the kitchen, I could hear him pacing the floor.

"Did I do something wrong or something?" His voice went from screaming, to quiet and hurt, before breaking completely. I didn't like the sound of that... I could only imagine the response he would get from that. He tried as hard as he could to only do right by her, but it never seemed to work.

"Fl-Florida?" He asked. I wondered what was going on. Why she wasn't giving any responses? I was too tired to get up and look for myself just yet.

"It just seems so far away... I'll miss you," he said. Was Sandy moving or something?

"Maybe you could stay with us," he suggested. I betted Darry would be just thrilled about that, seeing that he liked her even less than I did.

"I know that, Sandy! But I.... I love you." His voice rose and got quieter, and I finally mustered up the courage and strength to go check on him. I stood in the doorway for a moment, watching him listen to the other line. He was on the phone.

"I... Hold on," he said into the receiver, once he noticed me. He put the phone down and walked over to me.

"What are you doing up?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Guess I just couldn't sleep," I excused myself. I was hoping he didn't know I had listened to every word of his conversation.

"You can go back to bed," he said. I shrugged.

"Are you okay?" I asked. He took a deep breath, almost hesitating before he nodded. I didn't believe it.

"Are you sure? It's three AM and you're screaming into the phone and you kinda look like you want to cry," I told him. Something definitely wasn't right.

"I... It's just..." He didn't have to speak anymore, I knew why he was upset. I had put together what was happening. I took the phone out of his hand an put it down, and put my arms around him.

"You're gonna be okay, Sodapop," I told him. He nodded, burying his head in the crook of my neck. I rubbed his back as sobs wracked his body. I wanted to cry with him, my best friend, but I kept myself together.

"I love you, Sodapop," I whispered to him as we fell asleep together on the couch later that night. He was asleep before the words were out of my mouth, because if he wasn't, I was confident he would have said them back.