/153/

"You need to eat," Annie was saying. "Please Cal. You skipped breakfast, you can't skip lunch too."

  He looked at the food in front of him, unsure. It was a sandwich, airplane food, and it honestly didn't look very good. But Annie looked worried, so Calum picked it up somewhat hesitantly.

***********************************

  Annie tried to be interested as Johanna told her all about Colorado. They'd landed a few minutes ago, but it was taking extra long for them to let people out.

  Not that she wasn't interested in Colorado. Annie had actually been pretty excited to have this little break before Christmas, just her, Calum, and their own personal tour guide, Johanna. But it was hard to focus. She hadn't slept well last night, and her back ached from sleeping on the couch. Not to mention how worried she was. Calum hadn't said a thing since his panic attack, and it was scaring Annie. They understood each other better than most couples did, especially after Calum lost his voice for a little while after the car accident. Annie had always been afraid that he would lose it again, she guessed. And now, he wouldn't talk.

  "The mountains are actually underwater, and are covered in wasteland and deserts. And, by the airport-"

  Annie blinked. "Wait, what?"

  Johanna smiled. "I was seeing if you were paying attention. You looked like you were zoning out a bit."

  Rubbing her eyes, Annie glanced behind her at Calum, who was still sleeping. He'd been sleeping almost the entire flight, waking up from time to time before falling back asleep. The plane right was only a little over an hour and a half, not nearly enough time to catch up. But he seemed determined, Annie had to give him that.

  She looked back at Johanna, who had an eyebrow raised. "Hmm?"

  "Zoned out," she repeated. "It's fine. You two can take the rest of the day to get your act together. Security knows we're here, by the way. John got everything figured out."

  Annie saw a glimmer of pride in Johanna's eyes. "That's good. So, they're going to keep an eye out for us?"

  "Not exactly."

***********************************

  "They didn't have a normal cart?" Annie said loudly, trying to be heard over the screams of fans as they wizzed by, and over the clank of machinery. They sat in the flatbed of a golf cart, where usually stacks of suitcases would be.

  They had been picked up right at the gate, where fans were already surrounding to find them. Annie didn't know how they got that far, but she had to admire the commitment.

  Calum snored softly in her lap. He had woken up just long enough to get out of the plane and into the back of the golf cart, and then passed out again. They found their luggage, tossed it in the back along with themselves, and drove off. The security officer was driving them to the rental car place, which was at the end of the airport.

  Johanna laughed, looking at Calum snoring, his head rested in Annie's laugh. "Phone," she requested, and Annie passed her phone over immediately. Johanna snapped a picture, and handed the device back to Annie. "He looks really cute," she said.

  Annie looked up at her with an expression that could kill. "He's mine," she mouthed, placing a hand next to his head protectively.

  Johanna snorted, and was about to say something else when the cart lurched. Johanna's hand flew out, pushing the suitcase back in place before it flew out of the back. Calum moaned at the movement, burying his head into the soft denim of Annie's jeans. She smiled sadly, knowing that if he was awake he probably wouldn't want her to touch him at all.

***********************************

  "I'm actually impressed," Johanna said, looking in the backseat where Calum was sprawled out, asleep once more. "It's getting to the point where I'm a little scared."

  Annie smiled sadly at Calum. "He's healing. But let's not talk about it. What are we doing while we're here?"

  Johanna sighed contently, breathing in the Colorado air like she was finally in her comfort place again. Annie didn't understand it. She was still adjusting to the thin air, but to Johanna, it seemed perfectly normal, even after being in California for so long.

  "Well, tonight we can relax, and go to the grocery store just to get some food for the days that were here. Then tomorrow and the day after, sledding and sight seeing, I have a few ideas but it depends on what your... up for." She glanced back at Calum again, her meaning clear.

  Annie closed her eyes. "Sounds good. How far away is the cabin?"

  Johanna laughed lightly. "You can take a nap. I'll tell you when we're there."

  Annie hummed in appreciation and leaned against the car door, letting the bumpy motions of the car and Calum light snoring rock her to sleep.

***********************************

  Johanna loved the mountains. She loved the winding roads, how they were so peaceful yet one false move could send your entire car barreling down a cliff. She loved the scenery, the trees that stayed green through winter, the fresh layers of snow that covered everything. She loved the crisp, cool air. She loved the way the sun glinted off the mountains in the distance, coloring the sky.

  She remembered sledding with her family. She remembered stealing her cousins' sleds, racing them down the mountains. The mountains were always a safe place for her.

  Not much has changed since then. She may live in California, but her home will always be in the mountians, with the thin air and rosy cheeks and mugs of hot chocolate.

  Annie had fallen asleep in the seat besides her, and Johanna snorted. She and Calum were really perfect for each other. Both a little arrogant, both very touchy and possessive, and both actually pretty caring under their perverted, rediculous exteriors. And, apparently, they both slept easily in cars.