My Quarterback - 8

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

I just wanted to thank everyone who reads this and votes on it! Because this story has reached . . . Humor #423 / Teen Fiction #834 That means so much to me! So thank you<3

Enjoy!

My Quarterback – 8

Ellie Nichols

            “Ellie wake up,” I felt someone shaking me awake but I groaned and rolled away from them. I pulled the blanket up over my head and sank back down into my bed. “Ellie you need to wake up.” Asher told me. I felt the bed dip as he laid next to me, and before I knew it the covers were thrown off of me and onto the floor.

            “What’d you do that for?” I asked him, sitting up to face him. When I locked eyes with him I noticed the flowers that sat on my bedside table and the practice jersey that was laying on my bed.

            “You needed to wake up,” He shrugged. “And I had something to ask you.” I opened my mouth to say something back to him but he placed his lips on mine instead. And as his lips moved on mine I forgot what I was going to say. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled away before resting my forehead on his.

            “Would you wear my jersey tonight?” He asked me, his eyes never straying from mine. I nodded and gave him a peck.

            “I would be honored.”

            Now I sat in the locker room, hating how silent it was. Never once had I been in this locker room where the only thing you can hear is the slams of the locker doors and the sound of the metal spikes on the tile floor. Nobody said anything, and if it wasn’t part of their pregame ritual I would have broken it by now. But I knew how serious these boys took pregame rituals so I didn’t say a thing.

            It was minutes before the boys were expected on the field, and coach had yet to show up. I could feel the tension in the room. Asher had warned me about what the locker room was like before a game, but I didn’t think it was this intense.

            And just as I was about to crack, and leave the locker room the door open and coach walked in. He nodded at me, as the boys immediately huddled around coach and took a knee. Coach looked around at each of the boys, and nodded his head.

            “No one comes into our house and pushes us around. No one comes into our house and makes us look like fools. No one comes into our house and beats us.” Coach starts, his eyes darting around to each and every player. “This is our first game, our first game to show everyone what we’re made of. I want each and every one of you to enter that field with your heads high. I don’t want any of you to come off that field at the end of the game thinking that you could have done better. I want you coming off that field, winner or loser, saying you did everything you could. That you put your life on the line for the play. Every play, every minute of that game I expect nothing less than your best.”

            “Gather up,” Coach calls and the boys immediately stand around Colton, Nick, Asher, and another boy Travis – the captains. Coach motions for me to follow him and the other coaches out, to leave the boys alone.  I follow coach outside the locker room, where he stops me. “Asher’s alright to play right?” He asks me.