My Quarterback - 7

My Quarterback - 7

Colton Davis

Once Ellie left my house and went back to hers, I sighed and let my hand run through my hair. She liked him. Those three words kept repeating in my head. How can she be so sure after just one date. They went to the carnival, how u original.

If I took Ellie on a date, ours would be much more original. We wouldn't go to some stupid carnival, or the movies. I would do something romantic that she would absolutely love.

I shook my head and tried to think or anything else. She was already someone else's, and I would just have to be patient.

"Hey man," Nick said as he barged into my room and plopped down onto my bed like it was his own. I just rolled my eyes and turned back towards my computer. "What are you doing?" 

"Essay." I told him simply, "I've got Mr. Rodriguez this semester." I explained.

He 'oohed' and nodded. Mr. Rodriguez was known around the school for being one of the toughest teachers. He never let students get away with anything, and only a few people walk away with an A in his class. His tests are extremely hard and he grades his essays especially hard. He looks for every single mistake and if it is even a second late he won't take it. 

"Been there done that." He told me, "You'll pull through. If I can come out of there with a C you can too." 

I grunted in response before turning around back towards my essay which was due in exactly a week, but our first football game was next week so I had to get it done and submitted. 

"Who are you going to give your jersey to?" Nick asked me. My hands freezed over the keyboard and I sighed.

"Shit, I completely forgot about that." I told him. 

"Why don't you give it to Ellie?" 

"She'll probably be wearing Asher's jersey."

There was an awkward silence that filled the room, until Nick decided to break it. "Well, we'll just have to find someone for you to give that jersey to."

I just shrugged my shoulders, I didn't want anyone but Ellie to wear it. In high school she always wore my practice jersey, even when I was dating another girl Ellie always wore it. I come from a very superstitious family and now that Ellie is here and she's not going to wear my jersey what am I going to do.

"It'll be fine dude," Nick said before patting my back. "And I know what you're thinking and just because Ellie is here and she's not wearing your jersey does not mean that you're going to do terrible. You have to show her what you can do."

"She already knows what I can do."

"Just kick some ass." He sighed before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him. I didn't have time to think about who I was going to give my jersey to. I had to finish this paper and make sure it was 'A' worthy. I pushed Ellie out of my thoughts and completely focused on my paper.

*

*

*

"Come on Colt, just pick one." Nick had taken us to a party the following night, hoping that I would pick one of the girls and ask them to wear my jersey. But it wasn't the same, I didn't want some random girl wearing my jersey in the stands, I wanted someone who actually meant something to wear my jersey. I wanted Ellie to wear my jersey.

"I can't just pick one man." I told him, grabbing a beer from off the table and gulping it down.

"You've done it before, why not now?" he asked me.

"It's just not the same." I shrugged, patting Nick on the shoulder and walking out of the party.

I knew I couldn't leave the party yet, I was Nick's ride home and he would want to stay for at least an hour or two. I made my way towards the backyard, where only a few people lingered. I sat down in a chair, that was placed around a glass table and leant back with a sigh.