My Quarterback - 2

My Quarterback - 2 

Colton Davis    

Coach had texted the entire team to be in the locker room half an hour before practice. We didn't know what he wanted to talk about and we didn't know why he couldn't just do is at normal time for practice, but none-the-less we all showed up a half an hour before practice only to find that coach wasn't here yet. So the team and I were sat around the locker room, throwing insults back and forth and talking about the upcoming games that we would hopefully kick some ass at.  

"Does anyone know what coach wants to tell us?" My teammate, David Summers, questions. He was sprawled out on a bench and his eyes attached to his phone as he texted someone, probably his girlfriend who has the poor boy wrapped around her finger.  

"I heard there's a new athletic trainer." My best friend Nick Harris said. We've been friends longs before college, having grown up just down the street from each other. We have been by each other's sides for our who lives and I wouldn't want to play college football with anyone else as my running back. "I was talking to Dakota and she told me they have a new roommate who happens to be the new trainer."   

"Do you know her name?" David asked. 

"Dakota didn't say but I think we're going to find out soon." Nick told everyone, who know looked awake and ready to see the new girl. It's been a while since the football team had a trainer, let alone a trainer that was a girl. I couldn't help but think of Ellie, she had always dreamed of being an athletic trainer. She always wanted to be on the sidelines at football games, helping the players out. We hadn't talked in two years and I often wondered what she was doing. Did she get out of that little college? Is she living her dream of becoming a successful trainer? Or is she still living at home with her parents?

I wanted nothing more than to call her up and ask how she was, but she probably wouldn't even answer. We had promised to stay in touch and then I stopped answering her calls. It was all my fault, and I take full responsibility. I pushed her away, and now we don't even talk.   

"What are you thinking so hard about Colt?" Nick asked me as he took a seat beside me. Nick was the only one in the locker room who knows anything about Ellie. We three had gone to high school together and Nick and I were fortunate enough to both get scholarships to the same college to play for the same football team. I couldn't imagine playing without Nick by my side.   

I just shrugged in response to his question. He seemed to know exactly what I was thinking about.   "Why don't you just give her a call. I thought it would be different once you dumped Rachel. You can call Ellie now Colt."   

"She probably wouldn't want to hear from me anyway."   

"We both know that's no true. Y'all were practically joined at the hip. You were whipped my friend, totally and utterly whipped when it comes to Ellie Nichols. " Nick teased.   

"I was not whipped. We were just friends." I told him shaking my head. Nick didn't comment, he just shook his head. Ellie and I were just friends, well at least we used to be just friends. I didn't even know if I could call us that anymore. Without talking in two years I didn't know what would happen when we finally see each other again. Will she be pissed or will she be happy to see me?   

The locker room went silent as coach walked through the door. Immediately everyone gathered around and quietly awaited his news.

"I have some important news to tell y'all. Through some connections of mine, I have seem to found us a brand new athletic trainer. Now it is a girl, so I expect y'all to treat her with respect. There will be some locker room changes though, since she will be a part of this team, no more walking around in just towels."