My Quarterback - 5

My Quarterback - 5

Ellie Nichols 

I pulled up into my driveway, hurriedly grabbed the tub of cookies and cream ice cream before dashing over towards Colton's house. I didn't bother knocking, instead I barged in and took off towards Colt's room. I slammed the door open and said, "I am so sorry I was late." 

I stopped in front of Colton's bed and handed the ice cream to Colton, "It's alright El but what was so important you made me wait for our movie night." 

A slight blush rose to my cheeks as I took off my coat and shoes before slidding into bed right next to Colton. "I took Asher home." I told him. 

"And what is so blush-worthy of that? Y'all didn't do anything did you?" He asked, his body tensing. When ever I brought up a potential boy friend he always went all big brother on me. 

"He just asked me on a date." I shrugged, turning my attention away from Colton and towards the tv which was paused at the beginning of the movie we were going to watch. I made a grab for the remote but he held it away from me. 

"And when is this date?" He questioned me. 

"To be decided." I told him. We hadn't really agreed on a set date and I figured I would just ask him about it at football practice sometime this week. 

Colton didn't say anything else, he just pressed play on the remote and put the popcorn on the bed in between us. This wasn't like old times, the air was tense and I would do anything to make it go away. I once again made a grab for the remote and this time I suceeded. I pressed pause on the remote and turned my body to look at Colton. 

"Does me going on a date with Asher bother you?" I asked him. 

He took a deep breathe and looked at me, "I just don't want anyone to come in between us. I had already let that happen once and I'm not going to lose you again. I won't let that happen." 

"You aren't going to lose me." I said, "We're best friends and Asher knows that." 

"What if Asher makes you choose?" He asked, "To choose between him and me who would you choose?" 

"You." I told him. "Because you are my best friend and I won't let some boy come in between us." 

He smiled and pulled me into his side, "This is getting a little to sappy for me. Just know that I'm going to let Asher know what's going to happen if he hurts you." 

"Colton, wait for that speech after a couple of dates at least. Wait for me to see if I really like him or not before you give him the whole older brother protective speech, okay?" 

"You've got two dates." He told me, taking the remote from me once again and pressing play. 

"Love you Colt." I told him, resting my head on his chest and letting my eyes close. 

"Love you too Ellie." 

*

*

*

"Please don't do anything stupid." I told Colton as we walked out onto the practice field. He had been glaring at Asher since we pulled up. "You promised me you would give me two dates." I reminded him. 

"I'm just looking at the guy," Colton defended himself. "If he can't take a simple glare than he doesn't deserve to be with you." 

"He's a sweet guy  Colt, why can't you just let me date him and see where it goes. Who knows it might just be a bust, I haven't even been on one date with the guy yet."