Chapter 18

Astra's nightmare started off quite nicely. She was young, long before she'd ever thought of humans. She had just landed in the meadow when the sunlit scene melted away. Suddenly she was herself again, older and sadder. It was night time and as she looked up like she always did she couldn't see the stars. The sky was just black, no pin pricks of light. Frantically, she looked around the trees seemed to lean towards her, menacing. In desperation she flew upwards but when she looked down she almost fell out of the sky. The humans had encircled the forest. Astra watched as her protective dome shattered in a shower of blue sparks. She watched as the human stormed into the forest and cut down every creature in their path. She watched as blood, shining scarlet, ran like rivers through the forest. She watched as her home was destroyed. The scene changed again and she was in chains, iron chains that burned her skin. She was kneeling, the king towering above her. He raised his sword, and brought it down.

Astra woke, panting heavily as the events of her dream consumed her thoughts. Closing her eyes she steadied her breathing. It's just a dream Astra, dreams can't hurt you.

Far away, in a dark cell in the royal dungeons of Tarion, Florian was having an equally awful nightmare. He was running, running away. He didn't know from what but he could feel the darkness creep up on him. Faster, faster he ran. His lungs burning as if he had swallowed acid. Until he could run no more and he collapsed. He looked around and spotted a patch of bushes. He clawed his way over but just as he reached the sanctuary a hand closed around his neck. Cold laughter filled his ears. His father's figure rose before him, his hand cutting off Florian's air supply. Florian kicked and struggled but it was no use. The darkness engulfed him.

Florian jolted awake. Gathering his bearings he looked around his cell. Still the same dark place. Cold sweat covered his body, there was no way he would be able to get back to sleep. So instead he sat up and looked through the tiny slit that was the window. It was still dark out and Florian could see a few stars. Astra, he thought. He groaned, what was wrong with him? He couldn't think about anything else. Stupid, idiotic, good for nothing prince. Florian buried his head in his hands. He shivered as a gust of wind blew through the cell. He thought back to his nightmare. He knew the army had already left for the forest, he heard them marching in the dead of the night. Had they succeeded? No, that was impossible. Astra's magic could handle a few catapults...right? Florian growled in frustration, he hated not knowing. All his life he had known what was going on, or at least he thought he did. He hated this feeling of helplessness. He had to do something. At least try to do something to help. But the feeling of determination vanished as soon as it appeared and Florian slumped. He wasn't going to accomplish anything. He wasn't anyone's knight in shining armour. He was about to go back to sleep when a knock sounded against the cell door. It opened and in walked a man with auburn hair and blue eyes. About his mother's age. Florian narrowed his eyes suspiciously,

"Who are you?" the man raised his arms,

"I mean you no harm Prince Florian, my name is Ricardo. I'm your mother's friend from Donovra." Florian couldn't hide the shock on his face. His mother had never mentioned anyone from her home. But then again maybe she had but Florian had never listened.

"My mother never mentioned you. How can I trust you?"

"You're a smart boy. I brought this note from your mother." Ricardo reached inside his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to the prince. Eagerly, Florian grabbed the letter and unfolded it.

My Dear Florian,

I'm so so sorry. Ricardo told me what happened. You can trust him, as I do. I wish I could get you out, but I'm sure you know I have never been a queen in anything but name. I worry constantly, no one will tell me anything. Your father returned this morning angry beyond measure. It seems your forest has survived another battle. Someday, I would like to know how you met this fairy everyone keeps talking about. She seems like a wonderfully interesting person. You're my son and I know you must feel terrible locked away. So I have sent Ricardo to you. He will help you in anyway he can. Donovra's troops may be here to serve your father, but they will answer to Ricardo if he insists. He'll help you save your forest and your fairy. Remember to thank him, I raised you to have manners.

Stay safe my son, I promise I will get you out.

Mother

Florian hastily wiped the tears that had gathered in his eyes. His mother had done this to help him. After all these years of him hurting her. He didn't deserve this. He looked up and saw Ricardo looking at him with sympathy.

"Everything will be fine your highness, I promised your mother I would do everything in my power to help you. So, what can I do?" Florian answered immediately,

"What happened?" Ricardo understood,

"Your father assembled all the troops and marched to the forest armed with cannons and catapults. But the fairy had created a sort of barrier that repelled all the attacks. The weapons were destroyed and the king retreated. We returned this morning, the king has locked himself in his room ever since. Though its clear he will not surrender." Ricardo mused,

"Your fairy is a resilient one, your highness." Florian ducked his head.

"Please, just call me Florian. And she's not my fairy." Ricardo smiled wryly.

"A fool could see that you care about her Florian." Florian stayed silent. Ricardo chuckled.

"Well, your highness I will inform as soon as there is news." Florian raised his head,

"Thank you." Ricardo stepped out of the cell, he looked back and saw the prince look out his cell, a glimmer of hope in his green eyes.

Sorry for the late update. Thank you for reading. Remember to comment, vote and share!

Change of Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें