Chapter 2

Author's Note

Look! A unicorn! Okay,  Read On!

In the magical forest, the fairy was overcome with worry. How was she going to defeat the king? There were no other fairies in the forest, leaving no one for her to ask. The other magical creatures of the forest were still recovering from the attack. For no human had set foot in the forest for centuries. Much less attacked its inhabitants. The last time the humans had attacked was not a time that the magical creatures wanted to relive or remember. In desperation the fairy flew off to seek the unicorns that lived on the eastern border of the forest. They were the oldest beings in the forest. The magic in their horns allowed them to live hundreds of years. If anyone remembered or experienced fairy magic, it would be the unicorns. Spotting, a little herd of the creatures drinking from a spring she landed a few feet away. One should never surprise a unicorn, that would only end badly with the unicorn attacking. Cautiously, she approached a stark white unicorn, its coat the colour of freshly fallen snow. Bowing her head in a sign of respect she stopped in front of the creature. The unicorn beckoned its head, giving the little fairy permission to speak.

"Great unicorn, I come to you in a time of need. The humans have breached our borders." The unicorn's eyes widened but didn't react in any other way. The fairy continued,

"I must master my powers, or we will never be able to stop them from destroying our home. There are no other fairies, the only one I can turn to is you, please will you guide me." She waited and waited until the unicorn gestured for her to follow him. Obediently, the fairy did as she was told and walked behind the unicorn. He led her to a secluded cave, using his horn he parted the curtain of ivy that covered the entrance. The fairy was amazed, she had lived in the forest all her life and yet she had never discovered this cave. She knew this part of the forest, she'd flown above it, she must've disregarded the cave as a large boulder or a little hill. The fairy silently stepped into the cave and gasped. All along the walls were pictures, carved into the rock. Detailed carvings of the beginning of the forest, of the first magical creatures, of fairies. Entranced, the fairy moved closer, using magic to summon a ball of light in her hand so she could get a better look. Starting on the left side of the cave she traced the images until she reached the right side of the cave. Where she stopped. In front of her was a carving of a fairy and a human. The fairy appeared to be giving something to the human. Narrowing her eyes, she tried to make sense of the carving. Why would a fairy ever give anything to a human? Stepping even closer, she studied the features of the fairy and the human. To her surprise the fairy appeared to look like her. Wavy, waist length hair, feathery wings. The human on the other hand was a boy. About her age, 15 or 16.

"What could I be giving a human?" she wondered aloud. Hearing a sound behind her she turned to see the unicorn leaving.

"Wait! Do you know what I'm giving to the human?" desperation and uncertainty coloured her tone. The unicorn shook his head and galloped out the cave. Sighing in defeat, the fairy sat down on the damp floor of the cave. A single question in her mind,

"What am I going to do?"

The prince was furious. How could his father decide to lock him up in the castle! Pacing in his bedroom he ran his hands through his messy dark hair. His green eyes swimming with frustration. A knock on his door stopped his train of thought.

"Come in." he called.

"Florian, you've been in here for hours, you should eat something. The cook can make anything you want." the queen pleaded. Prince Florian examined his mother. The years had taken their toll on her. Grey streaks had become visible in her honey blonde hair. An abundance of wrinkles had taken shape on her forehead. But most prominently, Queen Della's green eyes, the eyes that they both shared, were now clouded with worry and hopelessness. No longer bright like they had been what Prince Florian had been a child. Neglect and abuse from her husband, problems from the kingdom and the inability to do anything to salvage her fractured family, had worn her down. No longer was she the young hopeful princess from the neighbouring kingdom of Donovra. And yet Prince Florian felt no remorse, no sympathy, no guilt.