Almost Died Last Week - Natasha Romanoff x Reader

Words: 1093
Pairing: Natasha Romanoff x Reader
Featuring: Clint Barton
Warnings: swearing
Requested
Summary
: When Natasha gets the wrong information about who she's tracking, you two become unsuspecting friends.
Author's Note: This is Pre-Avengers, Nat and Clint are just working with SHIELD on random missions. Look, it's another civilian x avenger tho

*Edited*

---

"All good, Barton, you're sure this is the right person?" Natasha asked over the phone.

"Positive, it's what my sources are calling the one with the information. I need you to talk to them to figure out," Clint began to tell Natasha all the things he needed to know, and Natasha wrote them down. She nodded her head every time he gave her something, even though he couldn't see her. 

"I'll be right on it," She said, "I'll call you when I get something."

Natasha booked a hotel room near where the informant was suspected to be. She researched the places nearby looking for the person who fit the description. Asking around local bars, restaurants, and diners, she needed to find the person. People said they knew of them, they were visiting, but didn't understand why this strange woman was suddenly asking for one of the least trouble makers in town.

Natasha walked into the coffee shop she visited every day since she had been in this city. She was not expecting that finding this person would be hard; it wasn't a huge town! She ordered the same drink and sat down at the corner table, connecting her laptop to the free wifi. She watched the people around her as her computer loaded up, just as a worker walked up to her.

"You're the lady looking for a very specific person, yes?" A teenager asked Natasha.

She nodded, "That'd be me."

"I think you're looking for the person right over there." The teenager pointed to you, sitting across the little shop.

Natasha glanced down at the description she was given, and looked back up. Smiling to the teen, Natasha thanked her, and walked over to where you were sat.

"Hello?" You asked when a random woman sat across from you, no introduction given.

"Hamilton, a great show, yes?" Natasha asked, word by word for the code to make sure this was the right person she was talking to.

You smiled, obviously knowing too much about the show not to reply. But you tried to be funny and attempted to copy the way she worded her question. "Ah, yes, the show was done quite fantastic," You smiled.

The red-haired woman turned to look at you, and she stuck out her hand with a smile on her face. "Natasha Romanoff, it's a pleasure to finally meet you."

You grabbed her hand, slightly confused as to what was going on. You looked Natasha up and down to see that she was dressed very well, to your surprise. "(Y/N) (L/N)?" You replied, but it came out more like a question.

"I've been looking all over this town for you!" She admitted honestly, kind of scaring you.

"Why? Did I do something? Are you the cops?" You began to worry.

She laughed, only making you more confused. "So tell me everything you have on HYDRA," Natasha said.

"Who now?"

"Stop playing dumb, I have to get back to my job, and I need that information, please," She began to sound eager.

"I-I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not even from around here anymore; I'm heading back to New York today!" You began to worry.

"Wait, you mean to tell me you aren't the spy I'm supposed to be talking to?" Natasha gasped, picking up her phone and shooting out of her seat.

"Spy? I work in a diner in New York!" You yelled, also standing up to get away from the crazy woman.

"This never happened," She started, "Clint!" Natasha shouted, grabbed her computer from the other table, and dialed a number. You ran out of the shop and back to your hotel to get ready to leave. 

"You gave me the wrong intel!" Natasha shouted as she walked down the street. "What the hell? I was talking to a normal person about classified information!"

"I was just about to call you about this!" Clint yelled. "As it turns out, the informant never wanted to help us. And when they found out that we were tracking them, they changed their appearance completely and fled the town."

"Are you serious?" Natasha groaned. "I swear, if they say anything about what I said to them..." She mumbled.

Months later, Natasha was back in New York and needed to find the 'fake informant,' who she could track down. Natasha needed a cover story for who she was, and she had to get someone to pretend to be a spy; you were the only one who had a small idea of what was going on.

"No, get out!" You yelled when you saw the woman that looked like she could kill you.

"Look, I need your help."

And from then on, you received weekly visits from the red-haired assassin. You were able to pretend to be the best damn spy out there and keep Natasha busy as the ones hunting her down passed by. As well as, you were able to keep the hunters busy while Natasha scoped everything out. It was a good deal, and she was very grateful. You got to learn a bit more about her job, and you two bonded over the most random things.

Every week on the same day, Natasha would visit you at the diner. You would get her the cup of coffee she got every time along with asking if she wanted anything to eat; on discount, of course. 

You sat across from her on your break, eating your lunch and talking to Natasha. "How's it going?" You asked.

Natasha chuckled. "Almost died last week."

"Yeah, tell me about it, the new management is terrible," You agreed. 

"I had to kick some people's asses, literally," Natasha sighed, "It's been a busy week."

"You won't believe the amount of people I had to kick out when there was a group of drunk men ruining things," You groaned. "It's been a busy week here, too."

Natasha complained about how many stupid things Clint has done in the past week, including that he was trying to spy on her through the vents and ended up falling out and breaking a few.

"I'll add that to the list," You laughed and pulled out the ongoing paper titled "CLINT DOING STUPID THINGS!"

It was funny how you and Natasha became friends. You were opposites, still not totally believing that this spy job was real, but you still wouldn't give up this friendship for anything. It was too interesting and fun to say no to, plus, you got to pretend to be a spy!